Friday, March 11, 2011

I know what I like


OK so my next post wasnt yesterday, but today I've taken a day off, and when you do that the day before (and unfortunately the day after) is always a nightmare. But here I am, take me or leave me :). And for my first real post back I've decided on a lyrics post, which I've always enjoyed writing, because it shows my readers which part of my eclectic music tastes are being worked through currently
I know what I like - Huey Lewis and the News

 I like things that go fast
Because I know that good things don't ever last
I like believeing in what I want to
Don't like no one to tell me what to do

Catching up with my blog reading over the past few days plus whats happening in game with MTRs and other associates of the guild, it seems that Cata hasnt necessarily caught the imagination of a number of long standing players of WoW. Guilds are struggling with raiding. Not with the content, but with numbers. 25 man raiding guilds practically dont exist, and may guilds struggle with 10 man runs. MTRs is in exactly that position. 

The result has been that we have lost a few raiders, and surprisingly they left without a murmur or with just a short mail sent to the GM. I actually thought better of them, some were officers and just up and left without trying to work through their concerns (which we can only guess were the lack of raiding). Of well, you can tell a lot about a person with the manner they leave a guild, and although there was no screaming or name calling, I was disappointed that they didnt even come to vent to talk things through.

But MTRs got together and talked. We are still strong, but we accept that we've been a tad slack. But we are addressing these short fallings, and for me its been great to see that the MTRs way is how the core of the guild wants to continue - we are more than just raiding after all! But with time differences across the ditch being resolved in a couple of weeks we will return to serious attempts at progression, and Cat is very busy using her massive net of friends and associates to allow us to have numbers. She's a marvel at finding people, you really couldnt ask for a better GM.

And I like the times that we've had
But I cound't tell you what's good or bad
I'm only hoping that you understand
This feeling that I'm feeling when I'm holding your hand

The Apprentice - this is the biggest regret of my break. I kind of feel I've abandoned Imrahill in the early stages of the experiment. Except I now see his Banking toon logging on regularly  - in fact I've created a monster it appears! I intend to catch up with Immy for a new gold balance this weekend, and set him a few more tasks if he's progressed to where I suspect he is now. The project isnt dead, it just went on sabbatical.

And I've had another player start to talk to me - I sent him/her a link to the blog when he asked in trade for advice about making gold from sources other than farming.  I thought their case was interesting - three toons 75+  but only three professions. Each toon had alchemy, two were herbers. But they had 30k in gold reserves and that isnt too shabby - it puts them in the top 20% of players - so they must be doing something right. They can farm for 1200g/hour - so thats the bar we have to try and exceed.

I like the sound of breaking glass
And if you don't believe me, why do you ask?
I like leaving town, and coming back home
I'm going to show you, when we're all alone
 
I've enjoyed being back in Azeroth - I was only really completely offline for a week, but the blog was neglected for a lot longer. I admit the blog had become a bit of a grind, I felt I needed to post daily and I struggled every day to find things to write about. But as I aluded to in my last post I have had a change of mindset when it comes to gold.
My gold reserves now fluctuates between 650-750k. If I stopped spending I would get to the gold cap in a few weeks but I've decided that, for now at least, I will spend gold as it comes in. 

I've bought a few items, a couple of darkmoon trinkets for 10-15k (remembering I sold the same trinkets for 45-40k only a couple of months ago), and I've spent some gold stocking up on supplies for a couple of new ventures. These are what I consider high risk investments, but its about time I had some fun with my gold.

I realised that the gold itself was a weight around my neck. It was part of the reason for the necessity for the short break - I was back into spending more time making gold than playing the game which really is just dumb. Sure I still twitch when I spend 20k on something or other, shit even when I spend 150g on a flask, but the twitch is far less noticable these days!
And the best investment I found for the gold? Challenging Acidburnx to complete the "More Skills to Pay the Bills" At the time of the challenge his cooking, fishing, and first aid were less than 50. Archeology was under 150. When he gets it he gets 20k. The challenge was set 5 weeks ago. My 20k is safe for another couple of months - fishing was always the barb in that hook :)

I like staying up all night
Watching old movies 'til the morning light
I don't pretend to know what's right or wrong
But I won't like leaving, if I stay here too long

So indeed I am back, raiding, heroics, old world content, leveling alts (my horde priest Funds is now level 84, and I've a new Shammy named Drosophila I'm working on). Gold continues to flow in. Giggles are had. The game is fun again.

Healing is easier, priest issues have been resolved (although I want them to address the fact that there is very little difference between disc and holy and there should be), the hunter still kicks ass - I just wish I could get a run in head to head with Acid! We always seem to end up in runs with only one of us on their hunters. He's scared I tell you :)

I like things that don't change
Because the more something changes, the more it stays the same
I might be simple, take it easy sometimes
But I can be stubborn when I've made up my mind

And finally Glyphs - in my absence Foo hired a contractor (Wek) to sell his glyphs for him, Moonvengence appears to have left (any update on that would be appreciated) and Devica has appeared.

So then status quo it seems. And it is. However I'm not - I've had a break and seem to have an itch or two I need to scratch. Just havent quite worked out the best way to scratch them. But I just emtpied my three sellers and brought in 1800g. Tonight will be the same again - 3k a day after costs. Day in day out. Do I really want to rock that boat? - it is the backbone of my income after all. Decisions decisions.

I know what I like
I know what I like to do
I know what I like, well what about you?

4 comments:

Drayden said...

Glad to see you back, and with a Huey Lewis song to get stuck in my head! Talk about Bi-winning!

Anonymous said...

My guild is perhaps the only guild on Cael able to maintain numbers for 25-man raiding, but even so, it hurts when several key members are out for RL reasons, especially as we face HMs.

Simlarly, though we have recruited many new talented members, we have lost others as well due to burnout, the popularity of Rift, and who knows what else. It is an on-going process and perhaps the only reason we survive is because of a core team and being maybe the only consistent 25-man raiding guild.

Interestingly, some newer recruits are from previously 25-man guilds that folded into 10s.

I am not sure how the future will pan out for 25-man raiding, but I'm now starting to think that making loot equal for 10-mans/25-mans will contiune to contribute to the demise of 25-man raids, unless content becomes easier. And I am saddened by this because there is a certain social element that only 25s can offer.

As for MTRs, I have always wished you guys the best. And I have always thought that if I retired from HM progression raiding, I'd move there.

Just some green-haird gnome.

Foo said...

In terms of recruiting : it always becomes harder when you let go of competant tanks and healers. Players are constantly moving.

Consider inviting ex members and irregular friends to raids (not me - my schedule is full enough). Even without them being in guild, you still know them and their strengths and weaknesses. It is how Dark Prophecy fills its raids.

On the glyphs, yes I did hire a contractor, but no it isn't Wek. I am currently looking to hire a miller.

I too wish Moonvengece well. The last I heard he was deliberatly playing aggressively in the AH, with a capped glyph price of 30g, with a stated aim of reducing competition. And then he dissapeared.

I have also noticed Immy (and a few other MTR members) in my non-glyph markets. I've told you before - mine - all mine. Well in my dreams it's mine.

Too much time means either expand your sales base or play the AH harder. Too little time means contract your sales base, or require higher profit over sales.

Boat rocking is not only fun, but also leads to new blog material.

Midlife Kat said...

In my guild we generally dont part ways with our good raiders happily, be they Tanks, Heals or Dps. (Because let me point out the elephant in the living room... tanks and healers you DO Need DPS) Alas sometimes people leave to join more progressive raiding guilds so sometimes there are gaps.

We have resolved this by working with old friends and new ones. We provide members to well advanced raid groups in a guild co-operative and they provide alts to top up our groups if they are short. This works well because both guilds get to run Cata raids without either guild losing its identity. It also helps that both guilds have similair sense of humour and game style (albiet ours is less advanced)

As for MTR guildies in "Your" AH markets, Hate to be the one to tell you Foo - but it appears you have a slight touch of Megalomania.. :P

Post a Comment