Will you provide a way to speed up the acquiring of glyphs usually acquired through research and glyph books? Glyph books (Book of Glyph Mastery) are hard to come by now that people spend so little time in WotLK content.
Yes. We will be changing the discovery spells so they can teach all possible glyphs, and the books will simply provide a no-cooldown method to do the same thing.
Yes. We will be changing the discovery spells so they can teach all possible glyphs, and the books will simply provide a no-cooldown method to do the same thing.
I had to read this a few times to work out what the heck they are talking about, and I have to admit I am still not sure.
Currently there are three subjects of non trainer taught/purchased glyphs - minor research, northrend research and books of glyph mastery.
From the eluded to changes the glyphs that can only be taught from books will be able to be learnt through research, whilst all research learnt glyphs can be learnt through books. So it seems that if you had the gold and the access to books, you could become a scribe with all glyphs overnight. No longer must you grind for two months doing your daily research to be able to have those rare glyphs to sell.
I can't say I am overly impressed... what's wrong with daily chores to improve yourself? It's worked for JC for two expansions - and even engineering and alchemy have random (ok not random at all) chance to learn new transmutes or tinker items.
Oh well, glyphs are dying anyway - this change wont help much to those who haven't already benefited from inscription over the past few years - but still it is annoying, another nerf to benefit those who arent able to commit to doing something on a daily basis.

7 comments:
Or you could get all the glyphs without ever buying a book, if you're focused enough. Given the limited supply of those books, I see this as an excellent way to fix the issue of the lack of those books.
I dont actually see a great lack of books - I have a supply I've been trying to flick for a while but sale prices never go above 400g. Over the past two weeks there have been up to 22 books for sale at any one time. Horde side is just as bad.
Mind you I realise I do need a reality check here - 250-300g for a single book... and I dont consider the enough to sell. I guess gold has changed my perspective a little...
I think this is mainly a way to ensure that the BoGM glyphs actually remain in the game. There aren't really enough books to go around right now, and eventually those who learned them all during wrath might quit, move on to something else, or simply not bother crafting them and putting them on the AH. The few scribes who were active during Wrath would also be able to charge obscene prices for these glyphs, and while simple supply v. demand dictates that they should be able too, as a lot of BoGM glyphs are BiS, it could seriously gimp players who can't afford the prices. By allowing anyone willing to learn these by keeping up with their daily CDs, it helps ensure that there will be people around who actually know these glyphs.
I prefer the idea of obscene prices myself :P
I agree with Shamaenei. I would also expect to see the glyph books become a world drop.
"another nerf to benefit those who arent able to commit to doing something on a daily basis" but I'm ok with that! My scribe toon has been a scribe since the first night it came out. It is to date, still the second cheapest profession I've ever leveled, and has brought in absolutely OBSCENE amounts of gold. It surpassed my jc'er in total revenue within months of it coming out in wrath. Even now it is like the cash cow that just keeps on milking!
I think this is only a minor bump in the short term road, but long term won't have a huge effect on much. It will encourage an influx of competition on the ah, resulting in falling glyph prices, as tons of the lesser scribes suddenly catch up. However, in the end they will lose interest or be too stupid and like many before them, they will wander off and things will go back to relatively normal after a bit. At least on my small and crappilicious server, I predict in the end it will still come down to the same dedicated few it always does.
I can see the point of the change. Given there are less people in Northrend, there are therefore less books available at any point in time (and I suspect existing stockpiles are slowly being exhausted).
The main point of the change is to make the BoGM glyphs available to those who are patient enough to research them rather than requiring them to have tons of gold to buy BoGM from the AH at ever increasing prices.
The other side of the coin is that players with access to a lot of gold can shorten the time taken to learn more glyphs by purchasing the BoGMs.
On my server (EU Shadowsong), there are not always books available on the AH and it is not feasible to farm them.
This change is simply replacing a barrier with a time-gated method of glyph acquisition.
I don't like the change at all. Seems like the simplest solution would simply be to add the books to the current content loot tables. The end.
Post a Comment