Well what a few days its been. Hitting cap has bought a whole new mindset for me and I admit that I have been enjoying every minute, whilst muffling the voices that scream 'Stop Spending!'
It strange. As of this morning I have made 3k in the past 10 days. However on the other side of this equation I have been stockpiling heavily for 4.2 and spending money on a variety of random things. Every purchase has a purpose, but not all of them having the purpose to make more gold.
For example - I've decided that MTRs should get the "Dinner Party" achievement. WotLK feasts work towards this achievement so there has been a reasonable amount of investment of mats into making these. Its frivolous, but frankly I don't care. And I have to admit that watch Cat place 100+ fish/great feasts around Stormwind is amusing.
Another example is the investment of gold (and time) into my DK PeerPressure.
PP is my herbalist/miner. She hit 85 relatively quickly once Cata dropped due to her extensive farming endeavours and although I played with the idea of tanking on her, I realised that I am never meant to play a melee class in PvE. So she sat in SW, doing the occasional smelting and running off to farm when required.
With the guild starting to toy with the idea of PvP (with the idea of possibly moving into rated BGs) I thought it a opportunity to dust off the DK. Evidently DKs are good at PvP ....
I started about a week ago with a range of crap PvE gear and a week later; having ground a lot of BGs to get hono(u)r and spent some gold; with the bloodthirsty gear, and other bits and bobs he's now at 2200+ resilience.
Now I admit that I know bugger all about DKs. A week later I know slightly more than I did. I'm gemmed and (mostly) enchanted. I have a decent unholy/frost spec. I have spell penetration above the 195 required. Like all of my toons I've spent some time and gold in ensuring that I am the best I can be. I've macro'd spells/attacks - I've done all I can.
But I admit I still suck.However saying that, I don't suck as much as I did a week ago.
_______________________
I admit there are aspects of BGs I feel I do quite well. Two recent Twin Peak BGs moments appealed to my sense of self-satisfaction to the point of writing about them. Now doubt readers will laugh at my 'noob'ness but they brought me pleasure all the same.
The first moment was when we had the flag, and the hordes flag was in our keep. Our carrier was low on health and ran up the central ramp with a druid in cat form closing in to kill the flag carrier and return the flag. I was close enough to throw a chain of ice. Then another, then a death grip. Basically I gave our runner enough time and space to drop the flag off, no doubt frustrating the hell out of the horde druid.
Then last night I came into a Twin Peaks with Alliance up 1:0 with us carrying the flag. I zoned in at our deserted base. I placed my zombie on the horde flag, set him to aggressive and being a night elf, shadowmelded across the room. Shortly two horde ran in, zombie pounced stunning one and as the other went for the flag I death gripped him away. During the commotion our carrier skipped through and planted the flag. 2:0 to Alliance and an eventual win.
Crappy highlights huh? But for me they was moments when I made a difference. And when it comes to BG, it seems those are the moments that matter.
____________________
Now for the downside. I find myself being ganked a lot. I tend to run in with a group of Alliance, only to discover the rest of them peeled off and I'm staring down the barrel of 4+ hordies. But thats acceptable. It happens in PvP.
What isnt acceptable in fighting 1 v 1. I never win. Never.
My DPS sucks. Honestly it does. I seem to have my priorities down ok. But even on the dummies I can only pull 5k. Throw a real life person playing a toon against me and I am woeful. I havent a clue what I am doing wrong. I watch my health getting taken down in chunks - 20k+ crits... yet the DK gets 5k crits. Its frustrating because I know I must be doing something wrong. I know my gear isnt great but I should be able to beat someone 1 on 1. Surely?
I guess it will come with practice. I cant hit someone not in range, and having never really played a melee class I struggle to keep up with people running and jumping around. But on the plus side I silence healers and fight at the flags. I do what I am meant to - I'm a good little soldier.
______________________
I'm yet to top a damage done table. Not even close unfortunately. I die a lot, but in a good cause. I guess I see myself as a spanner in the works. If I can distract 3 hordies for more than 10 seconds, then I've paid my 30 second rez time back... the goblin in me would say 'Profit!'
Feel free to look at PeerPressure and tell me what's wrong with her. Be honest, be brutal. I can take it. After all I have always acknowledge that there is a wealth of skill and knowledge in my readers I can never wish to match - so any advice is appreciated.

9 comments:
Well..glad to see you having some fun with pvp and bgs. They really are fun. Eventually, you will begin to take down someone 1v1. And then there will be times that you know you have them beat..only to have one of their friends come to the rescue.
I sometimes forget that I am actually playing against a real person somewhere in the world. But one night after I perfectly outplayed a DK, I had a laugh picturing some guy beating his keyboard on the desk. I know. I'm mean. But it was just one of those situations where I knew he thought he was gonna kill me. But instead...I got him.
I'm suprised that you don't give Disc a whirl. Sure you'll be trained down a lot, especially if your teammates are dumb about protecting you. But I have found a similar satisfaction in healing bgs as in dpsing. And there is nothing like the sound of Mending bouncing around. Ping Ping Ping.
Glad you wrote something interesting. hehe. There are a lack of good posts these days.
Just some green-haired gnome.
ROFL - whatcha saying Greenie? :P
The priest is - yes well - Sardonica has two specs - Disc and Shadow. If I were to PvP with him, my anal side would need him to respec into the more PvP talents - and tbh I just dont want to go there. I like the freedom to switch in a raid and still perform to 100% of my ability,
Plus I like the idea of a stand alone PvP character - and although Healing BGs is fun it's not as exciting as being in the heat of the battle. Mind you when I was running a flag the other day I was Life Gripped out of harms way which I thought was awesome and was the diffence between taking the flag home or not. Priests still rock!
From a gear point of view (and I'm no PvP expert)
PvE Head & Shoulder chants are better than nothing and you seem to have omitted a belt buckle.
What gives a better return on investment? Spell Pen and hit caps or Strength?
Getting into the rhythm of melee DPS took me a while, but after a while the numbers rose from practice. Making sure all your diseases are up for example can make a big difference for example. Quite often one had dropped off and I hadn't noticed, or I'd screwed up the rotation a bit and it fell in a heap.
Back in WOTLK, i recall unholy was not forgiving if the rotation wasn't perfect. Is that still the case?
I can echo the noob pvp'er sentiments quite well :) I just started on my rogue & I'm up to 1800 resi but my highlights are similar to yours - I just work on slowing/distracting/annoying the hordies so my better team mates can dispatch them! I'm usually bottom 4 or 5 for dps although I can easily do 10k on the dummies. It's all that damn jumping around!! I just can't seem to get the hang of it :( I did manage to cap the first flag inEye of the Storm last night though - you should have heard me shout!
"There are a lack of good posts these days" was in reference to other site posts. Meaning...you should write more...so I have something good to read. :)
But rather than be specific, I left it ambiguous on purpose so you might interpret it that your recent posts have been booorrriiiinnngg.
Of course, they havent been. But if it made you choke on your milo, it was worth the ambiguity. hehehe :)
Just some green-haired gnome.
yeah Spell pen to 195 is a must bell... or so the experts say... as is 5% hit cap. I have both.
Yeah the missing shoulder and head enchants...just waiting for the honour and as for the belt... its a PvE belt so will get a buckle once its replaced.
And as for you greenie...I hadnt considered you meaning my writing was bad...just infrequent recently. I'll try and be more paranoid next time ;-)
Actually my bad Bell... the belt was 339 and is now buckled... *hangs head in shame*
It takes a while to learn your spacing in a BG. A priest and a mage play in different zones. A rogue needs to stay true to their design and pick targets of opportunity. DK has a separate space and place as rogue. You should be using a 2H for burst. As you have found your time on target can be short. DW pulls ahead on long fights. I prefer frost to Unholy as I just don't like pet management from a UI perspective.
Speaking of role, this past weekend there was a DK with kill the healer mod. Every time we attacked Water Works he yanked me in and none of my team could give me a peel. Learn to focus on the healers and ignore the charts, and that really goes for Nev who on a rogue has all the tools to lock a healer down.
Android answer, hence random stuff in this comment:
The title made Me think that you arresten.moving info some kind of business irl.
Interesting read regardless! If you find yourself doing something wrong the best thing you Can dois to ask players that Do it right. Youtube has lots of tips. Watch vids and emulate their rotations and listen to what they think is important.
Cheers!
Post a Comment