A weeks worth of random pugs has been an experience. Running both as a hunter and as a priest have left me with memories of good times and bad....
Waiting times - as we have all experienced LFG is very good when you are a healer or a tank. Wait times of more than 30 seconds are unusual. Unfortunately as a pure DPS class I tend to be waiting for 5-15 minutes when using the feature on my hunter. In many ways it would be a lot better for my gold exploits if my enchanter/JCer was my hunter not my priest - waiting for a group wouldn't be such as issue if I could have the AH as a distraction.
I'm interested in seeing what happens over the coming months once everyone is triumphed to the hilt and running far fewer heroics again. There is actually very little you can do (as a DPS) when waiting - you can't BG, you can't arena. All you can do is dailies (erm I make money on the AH specifically so I dont have to do dailies!) - or hang out in Dalaran ignoring trade!
Rampant tanks - I guess tanks are an odd breed at the best of times. Little, if any, conversation - just heading off to the next mob, head down, getting their work done. Personally I don't mind unless as a healer I'm in the wrong spec as I enter the instance and in no position to do more than arbitary healing.
However on the plus side - a standard per 3.3 heroic takes around 15 minutes when chain pulling, and both my heals and DPS are most than capable of keeping up, so its a great way to get quick emblems.
Crap DPS - and I have seen some wonderful examples. Did an Old Kingdom run with a well geared tank (with me healing) and three reasonably geared DPS (well in terms of Gear Score at least (around 4000 GS)). After the first boss I checked recount to find the tank at the top of the DPS charts - and the hunter pulling 400 DPS. I checked his gear and found a neckpiece with spell power, strength gems and by rough calculations a hit rating of around 100. Quite how the tank and I dragged them through the whole instance I havent a clue (Two DPS just wouldnt move out of the fire!) but actually a quiet sense of achievement was the result.
Inability to whisper party members - I mean why not?
Rudeness - I caused a wipe on my hunter or at least according to the ret pally I did. I was running the Forge of Souls on my hunter. We reached the 2nd/last boss the 'Devourer of Souls'. Now my misunderstanding was that the 'Mirrored Soul' defuff only caused issues when it was specifically cast on you (and I still think this for the record). However according to newest member on my ignore list, I killed three members of the group because I didnt stop DPSing when the debuff was on someone else. Evidently I'm a 'F***ing Noob Huntard' which is nice.
(I didn't protest about this specific point at the time (as I didnt have time to recheck), however I did tell the ret pally that "For someone with a gear score 600 higher than mine putting out 1400 less DPS perhaps he should shut the f*** up'. )
I find there are a number of rude people in these groups - no one yet has called my by my toon name - I am officially 'hunter'. This is one of the negatives of these groups - I have to help idiots.
Need/Greed/DE - oh the politics. Firstly needing on orbs - for my server its just not done - but on a lot of servers it is. I guess my server doesnt have trust issues! ;-)
As for the auto DEing - still not happy.... when Blizzard lets me roll on nodes and herbs and leather then I'll be happy. It's my profession and I should be allowed to choose who I share it with (see rudeness above).
Traveling to and from instances - of how I love this. Oh boy this is wonderful. I use this feature all the time, even when running a full guild run. No more long flights to Gundrak or UK! :)
As as you can see - good and bad all round. Your thoughts?
Waiting times - as we have all experienced LFG is very good when you are a healer or a tank. Wait times of more than 30 seconds are unusual. Unfortunately as a pure DPS class I tend to be waiting for 5-15 minutes when using the feature on my hunter. In many ways it would be a lot better for my gold exploits if my enchanter/JCer was my hunter not my priest - waiting for a group wouldn't be such as issue if I could have the AH as a distraction.
I'm interested in seeing what happens over the coming months once everyone is triumphed to the hilt and running far fewer heroics again. There is actually very little you can do (as a DPS) when waiting - you can't BG, you can't arena. All you can do is dailies (erm I make money on the AH specifically so I dont have to do dailies!) - or hang out in Dalaran ignoring trade!
Rampant tanks - I guess tanks are an odd breed at the best of times. Little, if any, conversation - just heading off to the next mob, head down, getting their work done. Personally I don't mind unless as a healer I'm in the wrong spec as I enter the instance and in no position to do more than arbitary healing.
However on the plus side - a standard per 3.3 heroic takes around 15 minutes when chain pulling, and both my heals and DPS are most than capable of keeping up, so its a great way to get quick emblems.
Crap DPS - and I have seen some wonderful examples. Did an Old Kingdom run with a well geared tank (with me healing) and three reasonably geared DPS (well in terms of Gear Score at least (around 4000 GS)). After the first boss I checked recount to find the tank at the top of the DPS charts - and the hunter pulling 400 DPS. I checked his gear and found a neckpiece with spell power, strength gems and by rough calculations a hit rating of around 100. Quite how the tank and I dragged them through the whole instance I havent a clue (Two DPS just wouldnt move out of the fire!) but actually a quiet sense of achievement was the result.
Inability to whisper party members - I mean why not?
Rudeness - I caused a wipe on my hunter or at least according to the ret pally I did. I was running the Forge of Souls on my hunter. We reached the 2nd/last boss the 'Devourer of Souls'. Now my misunderstanding was that the 'Mirrored Soul' defuff only caused issues when it was specifically cast on you (and I still think this for the record). However according to newest member on my ignore list, I killed three members of the group because I didnt stop DPSing when the debuff was on someone else. Evidently I'm a 'F***ing Noob Huntard' which is nice.
(I didn't protest about this specific point at the time (as I didnt have time to recheck), however I did tell the ret pally that "For someone with a gear score 600 higher than mine putting out 1400 less DPS perhaps he should shut the f*** up'. )
I find there are a number of rude people in these groups - no one yet has called my by my toon name - I am officially 'hunter'. This is one of the negatives of these groups - I have to help idiots.
Need/Greed/DE - oh the politics. Firstly needing on orbs - for my server its just not done - but on a lot of servers it is. I guess my server doesnt have trust issues! ;-)
As for the auto DEing - still not happy.... when Blizzard lets me roll on nodes and herbs and leather then I'll be happy. It's my profession and I should be allowed to choose who I share it with (see rudeness above).
Traveling to and from instances - of how I love this. Oh boy this is wonderful. I use this feature all the time, even when running a full guild run. No more long flights to Gundrak or UK! :)
As as you can see - good and bad all round. Your thoughts?

4 comments:
One think I have noticed, and maybe its due to the newness of the patch. Guild runs in 5 mans seems to be a little less prevalent as everyone is off pugging a run.
On the good side, my lvl31 can get a group for SM fairly quickly (under 10mins).
As for the silence, I'm not sure why but it is prevalent. As the tank I make sure the healer is up to the job and pull accordingly. Only had one bad experience where 3 DPS who joined together were basically 12year old idiots looking to make trouble. They didn't manange to pull enough trash to wipe a 45k tank with a good healer behind them when they all dropped party.
That was actually your bad on the mirrored soul. When it is cast, any damage done to the Devourer of Souls will be mirrored onto the poor sap with the debuff. If no one stops dpsing, then there is zero chance of healing through the entire group's dps. Pets (shaman wolves, DK army) are a bad idea on this boss unless your healer takes satisfaction from healing people that stand in the fire just to prove that she/he can.
Seems you are right Charlie - my point was that name calling isnt really the best way to explaining this information. Rather than leaving the fight having developed my skills/knowledge I just left feeling annoyed at the rudeness of some people.
It seems the 'More Dots! Thats -50 DKP!' method of relaying infomation is the prefered method for some idiots
I noticed the same thing wtih the orbs. Who ever needs on them? I have started to need them since I was watching people roll need, then claim thier servers need on them.
As the tank, I have to say I don't talk to anyone. I have had my share of dps plate wearers thinking they can tank this ONE ad while I take the rest. Not sure when people unlearned how to follow a kill order, but COME ON MAN. How hard is it?
Head down, charge forward. I don't need you to take one of the ads mr DK. I will just swipe them all.
I am also now refered to as hey tank or druid. When someone calls me just tank I say, please call me meat sheild
Post a Comment