Forgive me readers for I have sinned, its been 12 days since my last post.
The idea of confession always appealed to me, although I am not Catholic and in fact have no religious leanings at all. But I have felt guilty that I have abandoned this blog for almost two weeks without a word to my readers. But the time has come to put that right in typical Breevok fashion
The title of today's post sums up my life through recent weeks and months. This is all aspects of my life, not just WoW. Everything I do is hard work - a struggle.
A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with depression, a diagnosis that was subsequently changed to an anxiety disorder. It's not life threatening in any way, but it is an inconvenience and one that have realised my fallabilities and foibles. In many ways I have did the typical male thing, stuck my head in the sand and told myself to "toughen up" but deep inside I knew that something wasn't quite right. Eventually I went to a doctor's and so the path of return began.
I don't do doctors. I am not a person who gets unwell, so don't see the point of visiting them. That's my perspective anyway and I'm sticking to it. But I went and the doctor was a reasonable chap, put me on some pills and sent me off for psychotherapy.
The pills were an interesting experience. Their job is to inhibit the uptake of serotonin, the brains happy hormone, to make everything feel better. Seemed to make sense at the time. However I had a slightly odd reaction to them.
In my youth I was a bit of a 'raver' - whistle, silly hat, the works. I was heavily into my house and trance, with some techno thrown in on the side. I was a dance child of the late 80s and early 90s and supported my penchant for clubbing with the old illegal drug or five.
Ecstasy was my drug of choice. Now ecstasy does many things, but one of these is the over production of serotonin, the brains happy hormone, to make everything feel better. I am sure you can see where this is going.
About two hours after my first pill from the doctor I was busily trying to find gum, digging out CDs that I havent listened to in 10 years. Cat had actually gone out that evening, so there I was at home dancing to tracks that I still consider anthems of the 20th Century. It was surreal.
I managed two days on the pills, but it quickly became very apparent that continuing to take them wasn't going to happen. I am 38 and cannot function for three months off my face. Appealing as the thought may be, I have a job that helps pay the mortgage that has to be kept.
So I've been limited to psycho therapy. I'm not the biggest fan of shrinks, but after half the sessions I have found the strength to pop up for air, and can see that I can work through this period of my life and come out the end intact and better able to cope.
______________________________
The cause of my anxiety disorder is where part of my therapy has been focused. This has meant looking across all aspects of my life - all of which have in some way resulted in where I was. I guess the best way to describe it is that everything contributed, and suddenly everything came into alignment and knocked me on my ass.
Work was the dominant cause - its been a shit of a year and although things have got better, there is no joy in my working life. I have always made a conscious effort not to talk too specifically about my work - you see stories all the time about people being pinged for slander from something typed on Facebook, Twitter or a blog. People lose their jobs all the time because of it.
Mind you saying that I see blogs all the time where the contents shouldn't be allowed to remain yet nothing is done. But knowing my luck, the moment I mentioned what I do or where I worked I'd get a call from HR and be looking for a job shortly afterwards.
And much as my job can be a pain in the ass, I need it to pay the bills, to support my family. But I will say that a series of events (some my own doing, the vast majority not) over the past 12 months have lead to high levels of constant stress. This stress was the foundation that other parts of my life built upon.
Home life is difficult at times as well. Life had thrown my family a few major curveballs and although the family is stronger than I can remember, the struggles sap the energy from you. And its this energy that allows you to keep on the sane side of the road, when energy if low you slow drift into a darker recesses of your mind. Its not a good place to go.
_______________________________
Today is a tough day. I can feel the knot in my stomach. I can feel the stress pressing down on me. It is not an ordinary day - but its one I should be able to cope with.
I have a meeting this afternoon which should be fairly full-on. I could do without it, but I have no choice but to attend. It starts at 2.30pm and I have five and a hour hours before it starts.
At 8am this morning I had to take Tuvok back to the vet. Although her operation went well four and a half weeks ago, a pocket of flesh has formed which has stopped the injury healing correctly. The cavity fills with liquid every few days and draining it hasnt worked. After a couple of weeks of trying, the vet decided that we need to go back in to put in some internal stitches. Unfortunately this will mean more external stitches as well, more Elizabethan Collars, more confinement.
Dropping Tuvok off this morning, she wasnt a happy dog. She is never not happy. But she knew. I know that currently I have a sad dog at the vets, and another dog howling for her sister at home. My current frailties are such that this isnt a good place for me. I want to be at home with one dog ready to collect the other as soon as she is ready to be picked up. Not being able to drives me mad, but I just have to cope.
_________________________
In light of everything else, WoW has taken a backseat recently. Not only for myslef but also for Cat. Without discussing it formally we both cut back our WoW time and immersed ourselves in Minecraft. The reasons were many, but for Cat the pressures of GM have added to an already pressured life and she needed a break.
Being a GM is not all homage and decrees. Its bloody hard work, and not something I would take upon myself. When Cat logs into WoW she gets screens worth of whispers, and pages of mails. It seems to me like a job - and for me the voicemails, e-mails and "can I just a minute?" moments are best left in my office. I couldn't handle having to face it at WoW too.
But Cat has taken that role, and has formed a guild where the members are happy, or so it seems.
But for two weeks Cat and I have been intermittent at best. I've been on more than her, doing my gold thing, but Cat has hardly stepped foot in Azeroth, bar a few evenings raids on occasion.
It seems that in our absence, things have drifted, which resulted in three senior members of the guild requesting taking toons out of MTRs to be able to raid with them elsewhere. Cat was more magnanimous that I was and they left with her blessing. All three went to another guild to be able to do 10/25 man content.
Part of the reasoning is that MTRs is struggling with 10 man content. We are 6/12 and not moving forward very fast - we dont have a core team of 15 which seems necessary for 10 man content. There is always someone not available - which leads to new people coming in. This means more fight explanations, which leads to longer runs to new content. Regulars got frustrated, and left on toons to find better teams to run with
I can understand the frustration, but I also don't. I'm part of those regulars - and I don't feel the need to take the easy route out. I will continue to smash my head against the wall with newer, less experienced people - remembering that these are people I want to raid with. For me progression and loot is not important compared to people.
The day after the three left, Cat and I logged in to find a fourth person had left too. To the same guild. It wasnt a surprise but when Cat got a mail that said "Leaving to raid" I saw red. That particular player was one of the reasons we didnt have a core 10 to doing 10-man content. She rarely showed up, and if she had been regular we would have progressed quicker.
Meanwhile during the same time, two other senior members of the guild returned from a holiday to walk into the middle of the mayhem. However their reaction was different - they filled the calendar with events. They did exactly what was needed to make Cat realise what she has been missing. They acted as a senior member of the guild should act and that mean a huge amount to both Cat and myself.
They acted like officers - they saw what the guild needed and did something about it. In light of this Cat and I decided that the position of veterans/officers needed to be reviewed and all vets were demoted. The position of officer was created and job roles were associated with the position.
The three who took toons were demoted from Veterans, with the opportunity to take up the challenges of being an officer. The role isn't arduous, recruiting, organising events etc.
_________________________________
Last night I had a chat with the three seniors that took toons out about this - it didnt go particularly well. I was not surprised when one of them had gquit on all his toons about 30 seconds after I logged off last night.
I hadnt said much three days previously when the asked to leave - I felt betrayed, hurt. But that, in part, are down to my health issues kicking in.
Realistically they pay the money and they play as they want. I'm not their keeper, but I am hurt. But as I said I do understand their need to go play other aspects of the game. All left extremely well geared toons in MTRs and its intended that they would all continue to raid with us. I guess that may not be true for at least one of the three now, but we'll see.
Perhaps I should have not said anything, but therapy is funny that way. I have been learning to let things go, and be selective about when to speak up. I considered just being a grumpy bastard over it and not say anything, but this felt important enough that I decided I want to say my piece. I could tell that it didnt go down overly well with any of them.
Would I take it back? Nope. Comments were thrown that the decision was pathetic, that I couldnt question their loyalty to MTRs over the years. The latter point is true. But the new officer position is more about action than sentiment. People either rise to the challenge or they don't. Its a choice.
_____________________________
Should I have be up front about being unwell prior to taking the break? Again probably - but mental health issues dont work that way, you retreat and lick your wounds, recovering from the injuries. Once you are a little better, only then do you have the strength to talk and be honest. That's the next phase in the recovery process.
And as I continue my journey to a stronger more resilient Breevok, I see More Than Raids moving forward as well. Nothings changed with the ethos of the guild, it is still a social raiding guild where people come first. If that isn't what a person is looking for in a guild then we aren't the guild for them.
And where would an MMO be without drama? MTRs has had a history of blips - this blog is full of them, as is Cat's now retired one. I stand by the fact I wish people hadn't felt the need to leave, because I honestly think that with a small concerted effort from all the veterans we could have formed a group which could have achieved. I am as guilty for dropping the balls on that one, but, as with all aspects of my life, focus is returning and we will be stronger at the end of it.
_______________________________
So that's where I've been. It's a shame that an absence to avoid drama had created new dramas to deal with, but c'est la vie. Perhaps more people will leave, perhaps the guild won't survive. Perhaps I'll retreat into my world of cubes and never return. Perhaps perhaps perhaps....
I cannot see into the future but perhaps my WoW days are finite in number. Perhaps the rapidly approaching gold cap (broke 900k last night) is just a doorway to nothingness in the game for me. I just don't know.
But I hope not. People are the reason I play WoW. Progression is nice, as is gear and gold, but they are just pixels. The people behind the keyboard are the important part of WoW - and that will always be my priority.






12 comments:
I wish this was facebook so I could hit the 'like' button right now. Nice post and even though I am one of the three that did leave with a toon, I can assure you that there is no leaving for me for as long as you guys will have me. I think of it as expanding, and instead coordinating with two guilds rather than one :P
Did you know that I was a drunk? About 10 years ago, alcohol almost destroyed my marriage and me.
But thanks to group therapy aka AA, I was able to quit drinking, salvage my marriage, and give birth to a wonderful little girl.
I, too, occasionally suffer from depression. I haven't been diagnosed, and probably have no idea how it affects you and those around you. But any form of medication would be out of the quesition for me as most of them would trigger the same physical dependence I felt from booze.
But I cannot stress how important sharing yourself with someone is. Whether with a therapist or a support group, the refreshness you feel afterwords is unparalleled.
These days I manage by sharing with my wife who happens to be my best friend. But there are times I think I might handle life better if I began going to a support group again. Because, let's be honest, there are some things you just can't share with your wife.
In fact, the only time I've ever felt fully understood was from another alcoholic. So here you've got me thinking...maybe it's time to get back into that and/or see if there is anyone in the area who needs help as well.
But as silly as this may sound, I am so proud of you for sharing this part of your life so honestly. It is helpful to me to read it, though that may not have been your intention.
Well..hang in there. I know that we must do things in life because our livelihood depends on us doing it. But we do only have one life. And as far as I'm concerned, I'm gonna try and enjoy it. Screw the boss if he can't. hehe.
Just some green-haired gnome.
Just had 2 make a quick comment. I commend you for having the balls 2 share like that... That's a big step..
In ressponse to Anonymous,
I recently got back into NA and off drugs/alcohol. I've been clean for 65 days today. I never could have done it without the support of other addicts. As u said, these are the only ppl I feel truly understood by. Life is good, and getting better. I would encourage you both to find a similar resource and use it. I'll close with a couple standard NA quotes.
"We can only keep what we have by giving it away"
"Depression is anger turned inward"
Maybe we should have a chat. Slightly more in common than we may have realised.
Just some undead ink trader.
@ratjr21
Gratz on 65 days. But as you and I know, only today matters. One day at a time. :)
p.s. This has always been my favorite quote: "Yesterday is forgotten, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift."
Just some green-haired gnome.
I've been there too. It's along road back to normality (whatever that may be!) but now that you have recognised something was broken, you're on your way to fixing it. It won't be easy but it won't always be hard either, just keep plodding on, baby steps all the way & one day, you'll wake up & realise that 'hey, I feel good'.
Wish you & yours all the best, fingers crossed for Tuvok {{{hug}}}
It may be a good idea to go back to the doctor and see if a different dosage, or a different drug would give better results. You may have been started at too high a dosage... people vary as to what is effective for them.
A worthy post. Self-search is a part of recovery as well.
About the pills; they're a funny thing...but from my own experience withe depression/anxiety disorter and psychiatry; there is no single happy pill. The serotonine inhibitors are only one part of the desired effect and some drugs ommit it, others are made of this particular substance. Shrinks are prone to switch you to other drugs or mix them up to find the solution that suits your needs the best. Depression and/or Anxiety isn't a single disease, but plethora of different, often inverwoven, but even more often not, causes and effects. I wouldn't drop the pill therapy due to the first pills not working for you. You should tell your psychiatrists the effects those drugs had on you and if he's any good he'd proscribe a drug or mix of drugs that have different sideffects (consisting of less serotonine inhibitors, but maybe more dopamine or neuroadrenaline or what not). I was in a similar or even worse mess than you and had a similar manly man reaction - burying my head in a sandbox telling myself to toughen up...but there was a trigger that made me go to the doctor and the pill therapy i'm on is working wonders (I've switched the pills around a bit to find what suits me best), and I can say that I would never go back to the state I was in before it. I know some are sceptical of the drug therapy, but if f****** works.
I too was submerged deep in the rave culture about the same time your were. Back in the day when you could buy pure pills without all of the heavily cut garbage pills that are around today.
About 6 years ago I too started to develop problems with depression and anxiety. I also thought it was interesting that the medicine was very similar to some weak X pills.
I remember describing my first week on the depression meds as feeling as if I had just come off of a weekend long bender with too much partying. The side effects vanished within a couple of weeks when the medicine started to work.
Seems those happy pills we ate before have a longer term effect on mood stabilization than we may have thought. I also notice that my body has become worse at regulating my body temperature, which could also be a side effect of candyflippin' and rollin' too often.
Anyways brother, I know your story as I've been down that same road. Just hang in there bud!
Love Live House Music!
Did you ask a doctor about the pills? My understanding (IANAD) was for the general population it took a week or two before the SRRIs fully kicked in.
Regardless, good luck
I'm so glad someone else had the same response to SSRI's I did. Early 90's Rave vet here too. I was prescribed Prozac to try to halt a never ending cycle of suck that I was in - and similarly spent the 3 nights I was on it, chewing & bouncing & grinning maniacally. Which is not how I want to be on a Tuesday night at this stage of my life. I too dispensed with the meds & went the counsellor route, I gobbled enough illicit pharmaceuticals in my youth, no need to add prescribed ones to the list at this stage XD. It wasn't the only avenue I went down to rid myself of crippling depression, but it's a good start. I ended up doing a mix of cognitive & dialectical behaviour therapy, which I would recommend.
I think my rise from the ashes of depression had everything to do with continuing to search for a cure, all the counsellors, meditation, yoga, self help books, affirmations, you name it I did it - retrained my brain, so the well trodden neural pathways of depression my thoughts inevitably slid down by force of habit slowly shifted from "I don't want to be" to a more positive default setting. i think it was in the actual seeking of peace of mind that did that rather than any 1 particular method. Exercise is important - we are still stuck with the flight or fight response we evolved with & so threating circumstances - like say - a nasty tax return, still evoke those hormonal surges associated with beating the crap out of someone or running like hell. Except thats not an appropriate response to a tax bill, so our brains just sit & stew in those stress hormones because those hardwired fight/flight response hormone surges have no way of being processed, and then another crisis occurs &, yet another & the corticotrophins rise ever further & the anxiety deepens. Exercise processes these hormones, it really does make a huge difference - we evolved to be a high energy expenditure species, the amount of time we spend sitting on our arses is completely at odds with millions of years of human evolution.
Anyways, hope that wall of text was in someway useful to you, anxiety/depression is surmountable, just keep searching for peace of mind.
It looks like you've already heard it, but on the basis that repetition bears fruit:
Dift antidepressant meds react differently with your body. Check with your doc, see what switching things around will do. And give it time. It takes awhile for some of it to work with your system.
That said, I'm a huge believer in the therapy route, or therapy+medication. Actually, I hate medication; despite the fact that it helped all the OTHER women in my fam, took me forever to convince myself to medicate it. Wish I'd done it years ago though.
Also, when I hit therapy, my doc made me grade myself on:
1. sunlight, on your eyes (no shades) 30 mts/day
2. exercise 30 mts 3/week
3. leafy green veggies >.<
4. sleep 8 hrs
5. 8 glasses water/day
I only took meds for 6 mos, but whenever I feel myself kinda down now, I recheck those. Usually, the sunlight/exercise puts me back on track.
Good luck
Post a Comment