I did my first GKP run yesterday and all in all it was a rather rewarding experience.
It all started because I saw an advert in trade - I'll admit that I'd been intrigued by the idea of GKP runs before but had never seen one on my server and wasn't personally confident enough with my own gear and skills to lead one myself.
The Event
The rules were simple - ICC 25 run, min bid on an item 1000g with bids increasing in increments of 200g. All bids split evenly between the players in the raid when the run finished at 7pm server time.
At 3.30pm server time the run began. The run had a core of 8-10 'alts' (if you can call them that, 5400+GS) from one of the higher raiding guilds on the server, and the rest made up of pugs. I went on my hunter to ease the pressure of the run on myself - healing in pugs does stress me out
The Run
Trash was cleared and Marrowgar was downed without problem. Three items dropped and the bidding commence. Shortly afterwards three items were sold and 25000+ gold was in the pot.
I was amazed to be honest - I expected people to be bidding a few 1000 not 10k+. I'd only taken 20000 gold with me and the realisation I should have brought more was dawning on my very quickly.
We proceeded to Lady Deathwhisper and suddenly a BoE fell from trash. Wodin's lucky neckpiece is a stunning hunter neckpiece that I've been considering buying from the AH over recent weeks so this piqued my interest.
I opened the bidding at 4k, but dropped out when the price hit 9k. It eventually sold for just under 12k and the purchaser made it clear it would be on the AH shortly afterwards.
I hadn't considered this before - I was here for gear - to spent my hard earnt gold to get some upgrades. If I didnt win anything I'd walk away a couple of thousand gold richer - which would be great - but I really hadn't thought about the fact I could be make serious money on top by carefully purchasing BoE items to sell for profit after the run.
Lady Deathwhisper died without incident - and there it was 'Zod's Repating Longbow'.
Looking back I should have bid more - I shouldn't have pulled out at 10k - I really wanted that bow >.<
But I did drop out and it went for 12.4k in the end.
We cleared all the way through the gunship and even dropped Saurfang. Scourge Hunter's Vambraces dropped off the gunship and I wasn't willing to pay the 11.6k they went for.
We went off towards Prince Valanar and on the way another Wodin's lucky neckpiece dropped.
I opened the bidding at 5k. I nearly pulled out at 10.2k when I realised I was bidding against the winner of the first one. I bid 11k and won the item - which was good because I hate going to an auction an not winning at least one thing!
Following a few attempts on the Prince (the first time I'd seen this fight) the raid time expired and we all met up and shared the gold pot.
A total of 107000g had been spent on bids, meaning each of the 25 raiders received 4282 gold.
The Analysis
I'll admit openly that this was a mad few hours that I enjoyed immensely. However there were a number of things that surpised me with the run.
Firstly - there are a lot of well off players in the run - most items went for 10k+. The cheapest which sold was a set of cloth shoulders for 6k. I honestly expect items for go for 4-5k each not 10-15k. I rather intrigued where others are making their money.
My gold stores are good - but if I'd purchased both the bow and the bracers I'd have spent 25k and thats a reasonably large chunk of my reserves - I honestly couldnt afford 2 pieces a week every week. Items tend to get cheaper as the weeks go by - few people bidding etc - but right now everyones rich and bid happy
My Wodin's lucky neckpiece has not been equipped - it would be an upgrade for my hunter - but not a huge one. Greed has kicked in and its on the AH.
With my share of the pot at the end of the run, the neckpiece cost me less than 7k, so if I can sell it for 15k+ I will have made 8k on the run - if it doesnt sell I have a nice upgrade for a really good price.
As a money making escapade, GKP runs are great. 4k for 4 hours work isn't a bad effort - I hope to run every week. Eventually I'll have won all the hunter drops I want and then the pot share is just profit. Picking up cheap BoEs is also another way to make gold - although there is risk in this - 11k for the necklace was a big investment for 33% profit. I'll mull over this aspect of doing GKP runs and decide what my cut offs will be.
There are a total of 17 BoEs in ICC 25 - 11 of which drop off trash. The prices of these vary depending on item so I plan to do some reviewing of these over the next week before the next run.
It all started because I saw an advert in trade - I'll admit that I'd been intrigued by the idea of GKP runs before but had never seen one on my server and wasn't personally confident enough with my own gear and skills to lead one myself.
The Event
The rules were simple - ICC 25 run, min bid on an item 1000g with bids increasing in increments of 200g. All bids split evenly between the players in the raid when the run finished at 7pm server time.
At 3.30pm server time the run began. The run had a core of 8-10 'alts' (if you can call them that, 5400+GS) from one of the higher raiding guilds on the server, and the rest made up of pugs. I went on my hunter to ease the pressure of the run on myself - healing in pugs does stress me out
The Run
Trash was cleared and Marrowgar was downed without problem. Three items dropped and the bidding commence. Shortly afterwards three items were sold and 25000+ gold was in the pot.
I was amazed to be honest - I expected people to be bidding a few 1000 not 10k+. I'd only taken 20000 gold with me and the realisation I should have brought more was dawning on my very quickly.
We proceeded to Lady Deathwhisper and suddenly a BoE fell from trash. Wodin's lucky neckpiece is a stunning hunter neckpiece that I've been considering buying from the AH over recent weeks so this piqued my interest.
I opened the bidding at 4k, but dropped out when the price hit 9k. It eventually sold for just under 12k and the purchaser made it clear it would be on the AH shortly afterwards.
I hadn't considered this before - I was here for gear - to spent my hard earnt gold to get some upgrades. If I didnt win anything I'd walk away a couple of thousand gold richer - which would be great - but I really hadn't thought about the fact I could be make serious money on top by carefully purchasing BoE items to sell for profit after the run.
Lady Deathwhisper died without incident - and there it was 'Zod's Repating Longbow'.
Looking back I should have bid more - I shouldn't have pulled out at 10k - I really wanted that bow >.<
But I did drop out and it went for 12.4k in the end.
We cleared all the way through the gunship and even dropped Saurfang. Scourge Hunter's Vambraces dropped off the gunship and I wasn't willing to pay the 11.6k they went for.
We went off towards Prince Valanar and on the way another Wodin's lucky neckpiece dropped.
I opened the bidding at 5k. I nearly pulled out at 10.2k when I realised I was bidding against the winner of the first one. I bid 11k and won the item - which was good because I hate going to an auction an not winning at least one thing!
Following a few attempts on the Prince (the first time I'd seen this fight) the raid time expired and we all met up and shared the gold pot.
A total of 107000g had been spent on bids, meaning each of the 25 raiders received 4282 gold.
The Analysis
I'll admit openly that this was a mad few hours that I enjoyed immensely. However there were a number of things that surpised me with the run.
Firstly - there are a lot of well off players in the run - most items went for 10k+. The cheapest which sold was a set of cloth shoulders for 6k. I honestly expect items for go for 4-5k each not 10-15k. I rather intrigued where others are making their money.
My gold stores are good - but if I'd purchased both the bow and the bracers I'd have spent 25k and thats a reasonably large chunk of my reserves - I honestly couldnt afford 2 pieces a week every week. Items tend to get cheaper as the weeks go by - few people bidding etc - but right now everyones rich and bid happy
My Wodin's lucky neckpiece has not been equipped - it would be an upgrade for my hunter - but not a huge one. Greed has kicked in and its on the AH.
With my share of the pot at the end of the run, the neckpiece cost me less than 7k, so if I can sell it for 15k+ I will have made 8k on the run - if it doesnt sell I have a nice upgrade for a really good price.
As a money making escapade, GKP runs are great. 4k for 4 hours work isn't a bad effort - I hope to run every week. Eventually I'll have won all the hunter drops I want and then the pot share is just profit. Picking up cheap BoEs is also another way to make gold - although there is risk in this - 11k for the necklace was a big investment for 33% profit. I'll mull over this aspect of doing GKP runs and decide what my cut offs will be.
There are a total of 17 BoEs in ICC 25 - 11 of which drop off trash. The prices of these vary depending on item so I plan to do some reviewing of these over the next week before the next run.

3 comments:
Man this is an awesome idea. So does the winner of an item also get a cut of the final price? That would mean that in the end you don't spend that much gold after all, right?
I love this idea. So did you know the leader? Just wondering if it was an established run you bought into or if it was just a random in trade?
I've been doing these for about a month now on my server. Unfortunately it's a low population (real low) Horde minority. The last ICC25 purse was only 37k but we had no trash drops, Bryntroll, Deathbringer, Zod or other high-demand items.
Because of our lower pop realm, I also run ToC25 gdkps since many still want ilvl245 gear.
The upside of the lower bids is our alts get whatever we want for very cheap :)
My blog has a scheduled article on GDKP runs this week and what I've learned about running them for profit.
Post a Comment