Wednesday, May 26, 2010

GKP - the Tuesday experience

I ran another GKP run last night - on a Tuesday...


There has been such high demand for these runs that they can now do two runs a week (weekend and Tuesday night) - and being honest these are a A and B team runs. Alas it seems I am B team material so I ran last night - the first GKP run for me in over a month.

The run was three hours long and we dropped five bosses plus the weekly.

I received over 4413g for my efforts - I purchased nothing and bid seriously on one item.

So that's the summary - there were four areas I wanted to pick up on in a little more detail...

1. BoEs - I decided I wouldnt be bothering overly with these anymore - and although several dropped they are a risk and usually do little more than cover your costs plus a 1000g or so. I am sure it sounds arrogant but I think purely in profit margins these days - yes 1000g is 1000g. But 1000g gold made with a 8000g investment is of little interest to me - 1000g gold make from a 100g investment pushes my buttons.

2. The run was not as slick as the ones I've run before - but there were some lower geared toons in there. However the organisation seemed as good as always, there just wasn't the usual ease of progressing through the run as I've come to expect.

For instance, we wiped on Lady Deathwhisper. I know wipes happen but it was a genuine surprise. But we got to the Upper Spire soon afterwards - and cleared the Princes without incident.

But Rotface - well we didn't get close. Slimes left in the raid etc. And we all know it just takes one or two of those and que sera sera. Off to Fester - 22k DPS short - and as someone put it - "that's not than fixable."

Now Fester to me as a DPS is a cakewalk - 18 DPS is just over 7k each and that's not including the tanks contribution. Yet we weren't close. People pulling crap numbers (and I mean less than 4.5k crap) - and a rather bizarre method of allocating spore carriers which I knew was trouble as its not the 'usual' way people do it - they designated a symbol to a position - skull went to melee, X went to range and square became 'Billy no mates' - and it's usually a lot easier just to call out over vent who should move because sometimes people don't need to.
 
Back to Rotface - worse attempt yet. And then our three hours were up.

3. Now there was one event that pique my interest in people and their pysche. The organiser of the raid DCed after the gunship. He had the loot but hadnt sold it. His internet and phone went down (storms or some such problem) and he was away for the remainder of the run. He eventually showed up about 30 seconds after we had called the run and everything was eventually sorted out.

During his absense, what amused me was the eluded to accusations that people would get ripped off by this event. This is a guy who's run these GKP runs week in week out for several months - has lined any peoples pockets with gold and gear, has put a lot of time and effort into the invites, raid composition, and running the raids and the auctions - yet he has internet issues and suddenly some people start suggesting he's a ninja.

To me it was just one of these things - and if he hadnt made it back he would have sorted out the gold and mailed each of us. He was not going to run away with 30k worth of gold - not least because that would be the end of the GKP runs.

Why are people eager to doubt others? Surely trust is trust until it is broken - and isn't lost because you are a paranoid idiot who thinks a couple of thousand gold (aka binary code) actually matters? Where is the faith in people?

The other amusing discussion is that 'rules is rules' and that if anyone else had DCed they wouldn't have got any of the pot - and the entire pot split should be split 24 ways. Eventually it was agreed that the gold for the first three bosses would be split 25 ways and that last two split 24.

My view - care factor zero. I got 4413g in total. If we had split the first three boss gold 24 ways I would have got about 70g more. If we had split the entire pot 25 ways I was have got 109g less

109g - shit I had more than that in my mailbox when I left the raid. Yet people were on the verge of going feral over it.

These discussion weren't heated - it was just repetitive - and those typed convos annoy me. I read it the first time thanks...

As I said to one of the members of the guild that organises these runs, the majority of these players have over 200k - so 100g here or there shouldn't matter. Yet I suspect there are one or two who jot down each selling price would go apoplectic if there was a miscalculation at the end.

This just increases my respect for the organisers - as I am sure they get inundated with whispers all run. Kudos for them for continuing to run these events. Now if I could get Cat into the runs as well they would be perfect :P

4. And finally Deathbringer's Will dropped - I stopped bidding at 35,000 gold. The winner picked it up for 36000 - they would redoubtably have gone a lot higher.

I honestly don't know why I stopped. I have bugger all to spend my gold on - yet I can't break the hording habit - it is truely annoying.

Anyhow it was a fun 3 hours - shame I missed the guild 25 EoE - a first for many. Tuesday nights are usually great guild nights when we knock off the weekly - its good team bonding stuff and its a shame to miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment