It happens very rarely that I come across an item that my auctioneer has never seen. My databank is huge and very robust - scans have been done at least twice a day since I last reset everything about 8 months ago.
What is even rarer is that I loot an item that my auctioneer has never seen.
Well it just happened - killing mobs in Sketis help Cat get rep with some faction or other. Suddenly I looted the Plans: Helm of the Stalwart Defender - which is for a rather interesting Burning Crusades PvP head piece.
Wowhead's suggested drop rates are somewhere around 1 in 250000. The mob that dropped mine wasnt even mentioned. So to summarise it's bloody rare.
I have no need for it, in fact no one has any need for it - yet we know it will sell. There are blacksmiths out there as anally retentive as I am for enchanting formulae, or Cat is for her Leatherworking patterns. Some people out there 'need' those plans.
So now what? Obviously I will sell it - but I have no idea what price to put on it? 100g? 1000g? 10000g?
I feel quite exposed - my Auctioneer safety blanket is not there. I have no idea even in what ballpark to put the purchase price?
Anyone want to make a educated guess?
What is even rarer is that I loot an item that my auctioneer has never seen.
Well it just happened - killing mobs in Sketis help Cat get rep with some faction or other. Suddenly I looted the Plans: Helm of the Stalwart Defender - which is for a rather interesting Burning Crusades PvP head piece.
Wowhead's suggested drop rates are somewhere around 1 in 250000. The mob that dropped mine wasnt even mentioned. So to summarise it's bloody rare.
I have no need for it, in fact no one has any need for it - yet we know it will sell. There are blacksmiths out there as anally retentive as I am for enchanting formulae, or Cat is for her Leatherworking patterns. Some people out there 'need' those plans.
So now what? Obviously I will sell it - but I have no idea what price to put on it? 100g? 1000g? 10000g?
I feel quite exposed - my Auctioneer safety blanket is not there. I have no idea even in what ballpark to put the purchase price?
Anyone want to make a educated guess?

8 comments:
I would say that based on the price i've sold "rare" BS patterns for, 500-2000g should be ballpark figure.
500g is what I see many of these BC recipes going for. You may find a bigger fool to part with his money if you wait long enough.
If I ever need to know prices I go to my fav website :)
http://wow.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=helm+of+the+stalwart+defender
I looked it up for you :)
Because it's rare and does not need a quick sale, start very high with 48 hour posts, and drop lower untill it sells. Each time you list it, advertise in trade that you have on AH only BS completionists need apply. (I.e. make it's expense a selling point).
As I already sell selected cooking recipees at 500g ea, I would start at 2000g/48 hour for this.
three sites (auctioneer HQ, wowecon etc) all suggested 1k. So I posted for 12k ROFL
Good luck, Sard. You'll find a seller. If I were a BS, I'd be one of those anal recipe collectors. I've already started on my Leatherworking Druid *sighs*
I actually got a really nice Epic Leatherworking Recipe from doing my skyguard rep. I priced it at 750g (apparently my Auctioneer had seen a total of 1 before and that was the price that it sold for). I priced it at that, and tried advertising before slapping it on the AH. 48 hours later & it didn't sell. I tried again at 700g Advertising & 48 hours AH. Again, no luck. I believe I repeated this process for about 2 months until I believe I sold it for 275g on the AH.
When you loot them, you get very excited until you realize your one expansion too late :(
<3 Fuu
I, personally, will spend up to 1k on rare world drop recipes. Of course, what recipe has a lot of influence. For example: If I were to find the Blackstrike wrist pattern for Tailoring? I might pay up to 2k for it. Why? Because I'm on a RP server, and those are some very nice bracers when left exposed. (I am also a completionist. But I have avoided getting the Truefaith Vestments as... why pay gold for something I CAN'T wear on my tailor? (it is priest only, she's a mage)).
12k, I don't think you'll get a sale for. I would like to throw my hat into the ring though with the suggestions of 500-2000g
Post a Comment