Yesterdays post received a comment I thought deserved a response:
The trouble is I keep refering back to a comment I received on an old post:
In response to the final question I posed "Do I do myself a disservice giving people a heads up on what/how/why/where/when I do certain things?" I got this:
However it got me thinking and in my post just over a week ago in the post "The Week That Was" I clearly said:
"We are lucky because we have access to the Cata Beta. I wish I could share all I know, but for once I intend to remain quiet on many of the plans I have put in place. I am writing what I am doing as I go, to ensure I dont miss anything, but these posts wont become live until after Cata release. I hope it will be a true record of my endeavours, with the failures as well as the successes."
On that post Foo even admitted:
I'll think on it some more, but ultimately I have to weigh up the short term gains of giving everyone my insight, verses the long term gain of reaching gold cap (and yes I mean 999,999g99s99c) in the period following the release of Cataclysm come December.
Ultimately this blog is for me. I am flattered by the fact this others find this site worth visiting, but I know that it hurts me because I inform my rivals of my every move. Part of me regrets the post I made in March this year entitled "Who is Breevok?". I honestly believe I would have been richer if I hadn't written it, and thats a shame.
- You are all very aloof with the items that you are stockpiling, any chance of posting what those are to promote more discussion? eg. I'm stockpiling netherweave for bags/professions as well as things like infinite dust and greater cosmics (as well as snatching the lowbie enchanting mats if i see them cheap).
The trouble is I keep refering back to a comment I received on an old post:
In response to the final question I posed "Do I do myself a disservice giving people a heads up on what/how/why/where/when I do certain things?" I got this:
Yes you do. You're a smart human being. You should expect that it's very probable that competitors may have set an eye on your blog to read your thoughts/tactics/strategy etc.At first I wrote this post about it "This Struck Me As Odd" where I said that I didnt really care, that it was my blog and if my posting hurt me financially then so be it.
So, post a specific content AH-related post after the success of it. Don't to tell to strangers about things you do in the present, tell them about things you've done in the past...
Your Friendly Anonymous.
However it got me thinking and in my post just over a week ago in the post "The Week That Was" I clearly said:
"We are lucky because we have access to the Cata Beta. I wish I could share all I know, but for once I intend to remain quiet on many of the plans I have put in place. I am writing what I am doing as I go, to ensure I dont miss anything, but these posts wont become live until after Cata release. I hope it will be a true record of my endeavours, with the failures as well as the successes."
On that post Foo even admitted:
By "for once I intend to remain quiet on many of the plans" he means that several gold makers on our server read this blog - me included.And thus my quandary - if I tell you what I am doing, and stop being 'aloof' (a term I'm not altogether comfortable with I might add) then I get screwed over come Cata. I am a victim of my own success it seems.
I'll think on it some more, but ultimately I have to weigh up the short term gains of giving everyone my insight, verses the long term gain of reaching gold cap (and yes I mean 999,999g99s99c) in the period following the release of Cataclysm come December.
Ultimately this blog is for me. I am flattered by the fact this others find this site worth visiting, but I know that it hurts me because I inform my rivals of my every move. Part of me regrets the post I made in March this year entitled "Who is Breevok?". I honestly believe I would have been richer if I hadn't written it, and thats a shame.

4 comments:
What I'm selling now:
http://www.justmytwocopper.org/2010/11/what-to-sell-before-cataclysm-guide.html
What I am stockpiling:
http://www.justmytwocopper.org/2010/08/top-10-items-to-stockpile-in-order-to.html
I can totally feel where you are coming from. Originally I thought about the odds of someone reading my blog and the off chance that we share servers, especially since I am on a very low population server. Recently though, a member has signed up on the consortium forums with the exact odd name of a direct competitor. So do I change what I say on my blog? Nope, but I have been giving thought to releasing ideas after I have been using them for a while, instead of posting it ASAP.
My advice: Release it and find ways to make gold that everyone can benefit from.
OR
Release it in such a way that the person reading needs to make a few jumps of logic before they arrive at what you've discovered.
Marko's shameless posts have pretty much shown where I was going with my comment and what has become an expectation of mine with gold making sites, I think you put it best when you said "Ultimately this blog is for me."
As I was under the impression you are doing a Markco and looking for a base of readers (thus giving you IRL gold through ad revenue etc etc) and of course this is the reason most people read these types of blogs.
If this is purely you just making comments and through the blogosphere (thats a word right?) you have found people following you then great! If anything that shows some good journalistic skills to still be able to keep readers without saying go to point A and click button 2. I was just making an assumption of a gold making site and as usual we all know what assumptions do.
I don't have the time to burn away all that would be needed to get the cata beta running and discover all I need to from it and so I mask laziness with the word efficiency as my reason for depending on wowgold sites for knowing what investments I need to make. I guess I treat it like a virtual stock market where I use sources of information to give me insights into an industry I don't have the luxury of accessing on a daily basis. But keep doing what you are doing and based on this new information I now understand why you are playing your cards close to the chest.
I'm also flattered that I got targeted for a blog post :)
Post a Comment