So Blizzard have once again screwed with Disc Priests. Just announced in a blue post:
Now let me think about this - priests come in three varieties - and to quote Blizzard themselves:
Now I've remained disc since Cataclysm - I can heal heroics (although I can't say it a particularly relaxing pastime), I can heal raids. But I cant remember the last time I bubbled anyone other than to get my haste buff or to get some mana back.
Shields (even when mastery buffed) mitigate fuck all damage. Just try and shield and PoM the tank on the pull and check when the 'zing' of PoM departing the tank first occurs. It will be under 2 seconds. And even with heal spams you are looking at eight seconds before being able to reapply a shield because of the weaken soul debuff. And trust me, if you are heal spamming to reduce the debuff, your tank's a gooey piece of meat on the floor before your shields back on anyway.
Disc heals are viable - don't get me wrong - greater heal, smite, PoH, PoM, heal - we have all the tools we need to be great healers. But what made disc healers different from all the other healer specs (resto druids, resto shammies, holy pallies and holy priests) was the fact we didn't heal just by topping up green bars of health. Shit anyone can do that crap - these days its just a matter of picking the right spell to make sure you get the job done in time and with mana to spare.
Obviously Blizzard decided that they didn't like the fact that they had created something different in a class. So they have decided to turn disc priests into another green bar filler. In short they have got lazy and just making disc a vanilla spec like all the other healing specs.
It's sad really. Having a different challenge as a healer was always what attracted me to disc. Protecting my fellow group members from damage seemed to be somehow more 'priestly' than just sticking another plaster on a cut to fix the problem.
If anyone can tell me what now differentiates a Disc priest from a Holy priest (other than the name of the spells we use) then I would welcome your input. By increasing the mana cost of shield application, which will nullify rapture in the most part, PWS purely becomes a haste buff. Well whoop-te-fucking-do to that.
PriestsOK I cannot attempt to not be blunt in the rest of this post - so this most likely NSFW. You have been warned.
The cost of Power Word: Shield is being increased by 33%. While we wanted Discipline priests to be able to utilize this spell more often and with better results, we also did not want it to be the main spell (and often the only spell) used while in groups. We don’t find this to be a particularly compelling playstyle and have found that it encourages players to avoid using other spells such as Penance. We believe that using a shield in a tight moment is totally appropriate, but we don’t want it to be incredibly efficient to do so with more frequency than that.
We realize that by making Power Word: Shield slightly more expensive for Discipline priests to cast that it might cause Holy priests to avoid using it. To that end, we are adding mana savings into the Body and Soul talent. The tooltip will not reflect this change until a future patch, however. Ideally, Holy priests should not notice much of a change to the Power Word: Shield costs.
Now let me think about this - priests come in three varieties - and to quote Blizzard themselves:
Priest talents can strengthen their ability to heal the wounded, endanger their foes with the power of Shadow, or empower themselves and others with protective prayers.So in the above statement we are looking at Holy, Shadow and Discipline specs of the priest class. Disc is a spec for protection and mitigation rather than healing.
Now I've remained disc since Cataclysm - I can heal heroics (although I can't say it a particularly relaxing pastime), I can heal raids. But I cant remember the last time I bubbled anyone other than to get my haste buff or to get some mana back.
Shields (even when mastery buffed) mitigate fuck all damage. Just try and shield and PoM the tank on the pull and check when the 'zing' of PoM departing the tank first occurs. It will be under 2 seconds. And even with heal spams you are looking at eight seconds before being able to reapply a shield because of the weaken soul debuff. And trust me, if you are heal spamming to reduce the debuff, your tank's a gooey piece of meat on the floor before your shields back on anyway.
Disc heals are viable - don't get me wrong - greater heal, smite, PoH, PoM, heal - we have all the tools we need to be great healers. But what made disc healers different from all the other healer specs (resto druids, resto shammies, holy pallies and holy priests) was the fact we didn't heal just by topping up green bars of health. Shit anyone can do that crap - these days its just a matter of picking the right spell to make sure you get the job done in time and with mana to spare.
Obviously Blizzard decided that they didn't like the fact that they had created something different in a class. So they have decided to turn disc priests into another green bar filler. In short they have got lazy and just making disc a vanilla spec like all the other healing specs.
It's sad really. Having a different challenge as a healer was always what attracted me to disc. Protecting my fellow group members from damage seemed to be somehow more 'priestly' than just sticking another plaster on a cut to fix the problem.
If anyone can tell me what now differentiates a Disc priest from a Holy priest (other than the name of the spells we use) then I would welcome your input. By increasing the mana cost of shield application, which will nullify rapture in the most part, PWS purely becomes a haste buff. Well whoop-te-fucking-do to that.

10 comments:
My 2s partner is a disc priest and we have not been happy with the patch...
To quote from EJ:
PWS spamming is back with a vengence judging by WoL parses and general QQing.
Also,
>> And trust me, if you are heal spamming to reduce the debuff, your tank's a gooey piece of meat on the floor before your shields back on anyway.
SoS was changed:
Strength of Soul Rank 2
When you heal a target with your Heal, Greater Heal or Flash Heal spell, the duration of the weakened soul debuff on the target is reduced by 4 sec.
>> PWS purely becomes a haste buff
And that's useful too.
Not taking sides here, there has been too much adjusting for me to care, just these few points.
I was reading the notes and thinking how much like the changes to pets for BM Hunters this sounds like. BM Hunters, up to 4.0, had 30-40% of their damage output from the pet. This made perfect sense, and seemed a sound design. Then GC said something to the effect that "BM Hunters are becoming too dependent on their pet damage output" and I was all "WTF, this is like saying Prot Warriors are too dependent on their shield for protection."
This has the same ring to it. They billed the Disco spec as a protective, mitigation spec, and then they turn around and pull a BM nerf on 'em.
I'm not angry. I'm just very, very confused.
Seems like homogenization is the name of the game nowadays...
Yeah, seems a strange change. I'm leveling a Disc priest now, and 33% will make things a little more interesting as at lower levels (from what I've played anyway) PW:S is the best tool we have.
On the flip side, glad they've recognised resto-shammies problems a bit.
I think you're seriously overanalyzing and looking for a bad guy here when you shouldn't.
Trust me. I spent 4 months doing Heroic Lich King as a Disc priest. Shield spamming is a terrible playstyle.
But they've also buffed shields in the last few weeks. They actually protect against a decent amount of damage. (mine on my Heroic Geared Priest will take almost 30k damage before popping)
I'm not really a fan of the increased cost, but it is better than being a bubble bot. Shield is still great on the tank and Disc has a lot of uniqueness (smite healing is fun, in my opinion).
Disc has a very different niche than Holy (more than one niche, really - look at attonement spec and how powerful it is on Halfus). Just because PW:S is supposed to be a signature spell doesn't mean it should be the ONLY spell used. I don't think this signals a break from Disc being distinctive at all.
I really don't understand why you'd bother to dedicate a post to this. They just gave the ability a massive buff, among many other favorable class/spec changes. An increase of 208% (Probably 108% and just a poorly written note? whatever). After this change goes live, the mana cost will have gone up by about 65-70%. This is clearly a good thing.
Other favorable disc changes:
Grace can be on more than 1 person at a time.
PoH procs divine aegis on everything, crit or not, which more than makes up for the nerf to the ability.
Renew costs less mana.
Surge of light isn't prematurely consumed.
Glyph of dispel can proc divine aegis.
Fort & Shadow prot cost less mana
They made a new glyph for prayer of mending.
Aaaand the 4 piece pvp bonus is AMAZING.
I got bored before putting forth any real effort to see if there were any other changes.
Clearly they hate the class, hate the spec, and hate you personally.
If you read their post, they think that holy priests may not bother to use PW:S routinely. No one in their right mind would think Disc priests are going to stop. Like I just said, free damage prevention every 12 seconds that also gives you buffs. Your ability to prevent damage is GREATER than it has been - it absorbs significantly more than it used to! You're even better at the playstyle you lament losing.
I really just don't see any rational argument here for the imminent death of disc as a spec...it's even better than it was pre 4.0.6, when it was still great.
I actually liked the changes. In my opinion, they made a lot of positive changes and a few negatives. We're all entitled to our opinion though. It just requires us Disc Priests to adjust to some changes, and be better!
Interesting points though.
Post a Comment