Sunday, June 19, 2011

When its all worth the effort...


Late last night I was listening to the cricket on the BBC website. Its not often that I get to listen to 'Test Match Special' from the other side of the planet so I am making use of every opportunity I get to satisfy my cricketing needs..

The match I was listening to was the third test match between England and Sri Lanki currently being held at the Rosebowl in Hampshire. English weather at the moment has meant that the match has had more rain delays than play, but that doesnt really matter. Test Match Special (TMS) carries on regardless - talking about anything cricketing whether there are a bunch of guys wearing white running around outside the commentary box or not.

"Oh goodness" I hear the readers cry! Breevok's being random again, AND talking about cricket. Yes it does happen occasionally but there is a valid reason this time related to the blog so give it a go...

OK so I'm listening to the cricket and doing my AH chores. Remembering its late my time, all my dailies are done on Caelestrasz, each AH is scanned, each toon's mail box emptied, each stack of herb milled. Its times like these that I finally get to clean up the toons I have on other servers. I popped onto Frostmourne to see how they are (nothings changed, still gold spammers galore, still typically Frostmourne i.e. yucky) and then worked my way through a couple of other servers before logging onto Tuvee on Rexxar.

Just as I was wandering off the the mailbox, which I knew just contained unsold glyphs because I'd use the remote AH earier in the week to grab her gold, I get a whisper. Now random whispers generally mean one thing to me, especially when the opening greeting is polite. But me being me gives everyone an opportunity and hey if they want to sell me gold, its always an amusing way to spend five minutes before saying no.

But I was wrong. This wasn't a gold seller. This was a level 85 priest called Wylene, and Wylene is a reader of my blog. What followed was a very flattering 15 minute chat about the blog, the Rexxar economy and so on.

I was blown away to be honest. I have a little priest selling glyphs on Rexxar, who I mentioned for the frst time a couple of weeks ago, yet a reader had taken the effort to wait until I logged on and then said hi. It means a lot to me when this (infrequently) happens.
________________________

I often forget that this blog has more readers than the seven or eight commentors who regularly pop by. For more than two and a half years I've posted by thoughts about a whole range of things, and even if there is no goblin-foolery going on that day, I'll still try and have something to say, if and when I have time.

Some days I struggle - especially when rain stops play - as there is only a certain about of space I can take up with my rambling thoughts. But I've always tried to make this place a little different from my fellow blog writers, and I hope I've succeeded. The kind words I received last night would suggest I have.

So this post is dedicated to the unknown readers out there who drop by to read my thoughts. You are always welcome to comment or even say hi in game. Its your support that keeps my writing even in the slow times.

And Wylene, goodluck with the raiding and the AH, I have no doubt you will succeed in both - but do me a favour... get an engineer because everyone needs at least one toon with the funnest profession around.

6 comments:

Wheatbicks said...

Keep up the good work Breevok!

Anonymous said...

Just another reader popping to say hi :)

Anonymous said...

and another. Actually I think yours is one of the best gold blogs out there as it is not full of veiled attempts to be helpful but really only there to make the owners real money.

Austacker said...

Most bloggers don't really appreciate just how many readers they have until they pop their heads in to say hello.

I read your blog every day like many. Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

Yes!
I just found you recently and am now a regular reader. Keep doing what you do!
much <3 from US-Ravenholdt

Brent said...

Always enjoy your blog. I read but seem to comment less lately. I wouldnt mind you sharing your thoughts on what I see lately with a number of the gold blog sites. The strive to be "THE SITE" seems to hit some of them. The need to post items that were private into public also seems to be the way. The war of he said or he/she did this. The Marko/Gevlon/Cold posts were part of this type of issue. The Nerf Faid issue with a Wind Trader application. Maybe I am just old but it does bother me and has stopped me reading a number of these sites.

I dont want to go into all the dynamics of the various posts or issues but my thoughts are the original thought of gold blogs was wow, people are actually going to share ideas. The use of various sites and forums and how people did things was interesting. The elitist attitude of some people is what always bugs me though.


Regardless of how successful I am it was still interesting to read and comment. I was tempted to write myself but gave that up given the crap that goes along with it. Even when I have tried to be helpful in some blogs I get viewed as not being truthful.

I am glad you are being appreciated but wonder if you would still start your site again if you were to start today.

Brent

Post a Comment