I got a whisper around lunchtime. There was a GKP starting horde side - and was I interested? Damn right I was....
I have four 85s - the hunter, DK and priest on alliance and Funds, another priest horde side. The alliance tunes are ilvl 362 358 and 361 respectively, whilst Funds languishes at a rather pathetic 349.
A chance to clear some raid bosses with her is always welcomed especially if there is cheap loot, or even better - profit, thrown in.
I'm no stranger to GKP runs - having been a big fan through late WotLK. But this was the first I'd seen since Cata dropped other than the BoT trash runs that I did on Alliance. And for Funds; who is in a mixture of 333s, 346s and a few 359s; it seemed a perfect set-up.
I'd considered the idea of running them myself, but to be honest I wasnt sure they would work this early in an expansion. It would be like running GKPs through Naxx when Ulduar was released - it just doesnt feel right to be a decent money making venture. When I was running them through ICC, the best gear was in ICC. We eventually started running hard modes, and that was the creme-de-la-creme of gear until Cataclysm arrived. In short, as long as you had the money and didnt suck completely (i.e werent dropped from the run for being bad) you could quickly get some of the best gear available. But running through BWD went even HM loot isnt as good as Firelands loot - I just dont see the pressure to bid. And its bid pressure for the 'best' gear that makes the pot swell
However Funds is poorly geared, and doesnt raid with the guild she's in, and I do like pretties. So I thought I'd go along. The rules were simple - starting price fixed (1500g for armor, 2k for weapons, 5k for trinkets and 5k for tokens. Min increase 200g. So fairly bulk standard stuff. The 25 run was filled with a variety of alts, undergeared and what Gevlon would call 'boosters'. Four hours later, Nefarian lay dead and we walked away with 4200g each.
Surprising stuff - bringing in over 100k run through 6 bosses in BWD. But (and there is always a but) there was a druid (evidently a rich one - he's one of the main gem sellers on Horde) who wanted the head token , and paid 30k for it. Another head token went for 9.5k. So nearly half of the pot came from two items.
I spent up large. A healing head (1.5k), healing ring (2.1k), shoulders (1.5k), healing mace from Nef (3.2k) and the t11 head token for 5k. Total spend was 13.3k - but that reduced to 9.1k once I'd got my share of the pot. Bearing in mind that 359s BoEs are still selling for 10-20k and I came away laughing.
In fact a lot of gear went for minimum bid prices - the friend I ran with picked up a head, wand, shoulders and something else for under 8k. Under 4k when the pot was split. I honestly cant advocate enough that these GKP runs are the quickest and easiest ways to gear a toon up.
But if this has been Alliance? Well that would be a different story. I doubt I would have even bid on the wand seeing as I am 140 valor away from the 378 wand for Sardonica. Thats the only none 359 piece on either of my raiding toons - so I am still to be convinced that this is a long term money maker for anyone involved.
It will be interesting to see how well these runs are attended in the future. It wont be long before a great number of people are there purely for the gold - and with fewer bidders the pot drops in size - and as that happens the less likely the boosers are to stick around.
But for now I can gear Funds up cheaply, plus she now has an achievement which opens doors to other runs in the future. All in all good day and cheap at double the price :).
Big ups to the guys who ran the even - it was a clean run, well organised. I gather they had run GKPs through WotLK as well, similar to the ones Alliance side I am sure. Anacdotal stories sound similar anyways. I hope to tag along next week - I still have gold to burn and 10k a week is a mere drop in the ocean.
I have four 85s - the hunter, DK and priest on alliance and Funds, another priest horde side. The alliance tunes are ilvl 362 358 and 361 respectively, whilst Funds languishes at a rather pathetic 349.
A chance to clear some raid bosses with her is always welcomed especially if there is cheap loot, or even better - profit, thrown in.
I'm no stranger to GKP runs - having been a big fan through late WotLK. But this was the first I'd seen since Cata dropped other than the BoT trash runs that I did on Alliance. And for Funds; who is in a mixture of 333s, 346s and a few 359s; it seemed a perfect set-up.
I'd considered the idea of running them myself, but to be honest I wasnt sure they would work this early in an expansion. It would be like running GKPs through Naxx when Ulduar was released - it just doesnt feel right to be a decent money making venture. When I was running them through ICC, the best gear was in ICC. We eventually started running hard modes, and that was the creme-de-la-creme of gear until Cataclysm arrived. In short, as long as you had the money and didnt suck completely (i.e werent dropped from the run for being bad) you could quickly get some of the best gear available. But running through BWD went even HM loot isnt as good as Firelands loot - I just dont see the pressure to bid. And its bid pressure for the 'best' gear that makes the pot swell
However Funds is poorly geared, and doesnt raid with the guild she's in, and I do like pretties. So I thought I'd go along. The rules were simple - starting price fixed (1500g for armor, 2k for weapons, 5k for trinkets and 5k for tokens. Min increase 200g. So fairly bulk standard stuff. The 25 run was filled with a variety of alts, undergeared and what Gevlon would call 'boosters'. Four hours later, Nefarian lay dead and we walked away with 4200g each.
Surprising stuff - bringing in over 100k run through 6 bosses in BWD. But (and there is always a but) there was a druid (evidently a rich one - he's one of the main gem sellers on Horde) who wanted the head token , and paid 30k for it. Another head token went for 9.5k. So nearly half of the pot came from two items.
I spent up large. A healing head (1.5k), healing ring (2.1k), shoulders (1.5k), healing mace from Nef (3.2k) and the t11 head token for 5k. Total spend was 13.3k - but that reduced to 9.1k once I'd got my share of the pot. Bearing in mind that 359s BoEs are still selling for 10-20k and I came away laughing.
In fact a lot of gear went for minimum bid prices - the friend I ran with picked up a head, wand, shoulders and something else for under 8k. Under 4k when the pot was split. I honestly cant advocate enough that these GKP runs are the quickest and easiest ways to gear a toon up.
But if this has been Alliance? Well that would be a different story. I doubt I would have even bid on the wand seeing as I am 140 valor away from the 378 wand for Sardonica. Thats the only none 359 piece on either of my raiding toons - so I am still to be convinced that this is a long term money maker for anyone involved.
It will be interesting to see how well these runs are attended in the future. It wont be long before a great number of people are there purely for the gold - and with fewer bidders the pot drops in size - and as that happens the less likely the boosers are to stick around.
But for now I can gear Funds up cheaply, plus she now has an achievement which opens doors to other runs in the future. All in all good day and cheap at double the price :).
Big ups to the guys who ran the even - it was a clean run, well organised. I gather they had run GKPs through WotLK as well, similar to the ones Alliance side I am sure. Anacdotal stories sound similar anyways. I hope to tag along next week - I still have gold to burn and 10k a week is a mere drop in the ocean.

No comments:
Post a Comment