A lyrics post :)
I remember every little thing as if it happened only yesterdayParking by the lake and there was not another car in sight
And I never had a girl looking any better than you did
And all the kids at school they were wishing they were me that night
And now our bodies are oh so close and tight
It never felt so good, it never felt so right
And we're glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife
Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife
C'mon, hold on tight! C'mon, hold on tight!
Though it's cold and lonely in the deep dark night, I can see paradise by the dashboard light
I started playing WOW in April 2008, more than three years ago. I hadn't played a PC game in a while and my (step) son had been given a copy of WOW by my sister for his Birthday. At the time Cat and I didn't approve, but I decided it was there was possibly a common bond which could be formed between my son and I - something I've struggled with ever since I have been part of his life over the last 7 years. I rolled a priest and wandered into Northshire for the very first time. A week or so later Cat rolled a hunter and so the journey of the whole family moving into Azeroth began
Ain't no doubt about it we were doubly blessed
'Cause we were barely seventeen and we were barely dressed
Ain't no doubt about it, baby got to go out and shout it
Ain't no doubt about it, we were doubly blessed
'Cause we were barely seventeen, and we were barely dressed
WOW is a fantastic game in all of its meanings. I cannot give Blizzard enough credit for the world they have developed over the past 10 years. They really don't get the recognition they deserve, with people just bitching and whining on the forums and in trade. To the complainers, if you hate the game so much, why the hell are you playing? If people are honest, they invest themselves into the game - and I admit the game is addictive. I'm addicted. I get withdrawal when I'm at work. I've taken holidays just to play.
But the game for me is really about people. Not only Cat and my son, but the people we met in our first few proper guilds. We are still playing with some of those same people I met way back then and I consider some of them 'real' friends.
Baby don'cha hear my heart, you got it drowning out the radio
I've been waiting so long for you to come along and have some fun
And I gotta let you know, No you're never gonna regret it
So open up your eyes, I got a big surprise
It'll feel all right
Well I wanna make you motor run
And now our bodies are oh so close and tight. It never felt so good, it never felt so right
And we're glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife, Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife
C'mon, Hold on tight! C'mon, Hold on tight!
The gold addiction came quickly once I discovered that it was possible to make gold hand over fist if you had half a brain cell. Learning Auctioneer was more exciting than levelling, and soon Sardonica was focused more on being a goblin than anything else. He stalled at around level 40 whilst Catreann pressed on (Cat was a levelling queen) but it didn't matter. Both toons were on the same account and there was no way to play them both simultaneously. In the evening we played Cat, and when Cat went to bed I was logging in Sard and made gold. I got my fix and we both got to play.
Though it's cold and lonely in the deep dark night
I can see paradise by the dashboard light
Paradise by the dashboard light
You got to do what you can, and let Mother Nature do the rest
Ain't no doubt about it we were doubly blessed
'Cause we were barely seventeen, and we were barely….
We're gonna go all the way tonight
We're gonna go all the way
And tonight's the night
Being a goblin is fun. Going from 10g to 100g. From 100g to 1000g. 1k to 10k. Every milestone is met with a serene sense of self satisfaction, a smugness of knowing you beat the system, that you now had more gold than you had using nothing more than skill and effort. It was pickpocketing without being illegal. It was a tax on the stupid that came directly to you.
But with every high comes the comedown. And once again you are looking for that up, but as with any addiction you need it to be bigger than the last.
After around 16 months of dabbling at making wealth I happened upon The Greedy Goblin website. Love him or hate him, at his prime Gevlon was as good as they came to giving gold making instruction. Although in my two years of writing this blog he has never even acknowledged by existence (which is a shame because I would like to have crossed keyboards with him on my own patch), I still follow TGG more regularly than any other blog.
Gevlon gave me two things – inspiration to move my gold making to the next level, and inspiration to start this blog. The aims of both were modest at the start, but both developed and my aim was raised. Eventually I wanted gold cap and a well followed blog and so with the challenge set, we strode onwards…
But with every high comes the comedown. And once again you are looking for that up, but as with any addiction you need it to be bigger than the last.
After around 16 months of dabbling at making wealth I happened upon The Greedy Goblin website. Love him or hate him, at his prime Gevlon was as good as they came to giving gold making instruction. Although in my two years of writing this blog he has never even acknowledged by existence (which is a shame because I would like to have crossed keyboards with him on my own patch), I still follow TGG more regularly than any other blog.
Gevlon gave me two things – inspiration to move my gold making to the next level, and inspiration to start this blog. The aims of both were modest at the start, but both developed and my aim was raised. Eventually I wanted gold cap and a well followed blog and so with the challenge set, we strode onwards…
[Radio Broadcast:]
OK, here we go, we got a real pressure cooker going here
Two down, nobody on, no score, bottom of the ninth.
There's the wind-up, and there it is a line shot up the middle, look at him go!
This boy can really fly, he’s rounding first and really turning it on now
He's not letting up at all, he's gonna try for second
The ball is bobbled out in the center, and here's the throw and what a throw
He's gonna slide in head first! Here he comes, he's out! No, wait, safe, safe at second base
This kid really makes things happen out there.
Batter steps up to the plate. Here's the pitch, he's going and what a jump he's got
He's trying for third. Here's the throw, it's in the dirt, safe at third
Holy cow, stolen base!
He's taking a pretty big lead out there, almost daring them to pick him off
The pitcher glances over, winds-up and it's bunted, bunted down the third base line
The suicide squeeze is on
Here he comes, squeeze play, it's gonna be close
Here's the throw, here's the play at the plate
Holy cow, I think he's gonna make it!
And make it I did. One million gold. Count every last damn copper. A member of an elite club that few will be able to join. I did it. My way. An achievement as great as getting a legendary, as stunning as being there when the Lich King went down for the first time. Perhaps only being there at the opening of the gates to AQ could surpass it and trust me, Blizzard will never ever make a moment like that again.
[Girl] Stop right there! I gotta know right now, before we go any further
Do you love me? Will you love me forever?
Do you need me? Will you never leave me?
Will you make me so happy for the rest of my life?
Will you take me away and will you make me your wife?
Do you love me? Will you love me forever?
Do you need me? Will you never leave me?
Will you make me so happy for the rest of my life?
Will you take me away, will you make me your wife?
I gotta know right now before we go any further
Do you love me? Will you love me forever?
[Boy] Let me sleep on it. Baby, baby let me sleep on it
Let me sleep on it and I'll give you an answer in the morning
Let me sleep on it. Baby, baby let me sleep on it
Let me sleep on it and I'll give you an answer in the morning
Let me sleep on it. Baby, baby let me sleep on it
Let me sleep on it and I'll give you an answer in the morning
[Girl] I gotta know right now!
Do you love me? Will you love me forever?
Do you need me? Will you never leave me?
Will you make me so happy for the rest of my life?
Will you take me away, will you make me your wife?
I gotta know right now before we go any further - Do you love me? And will you love me forever?
I have written before about the lack of recognition reaching gold cap receives. But ultimately it’s a lonely hollow achievement known by few and admired by even less. This was always my fear as I approached the end of my journey, that it was the journey itself that was the fun part and that the destination would be a disappointment. And right I was.
As I screen captured auditor for the post where I announced the million, I felt….relief. Nothing more. There was no elation. Sure there was satisfaction but nothing euphoric. I wasn’t running around the room cheering. And yes this was a massive disappointment for me, because I had spent so much time and effort in getting it done, I honestly wished I’d felt more. But in truth I got more pleasure getting my first 100g than the last half million.
And as I moved forward from that point I wanted to play differently. I wanted to be able to enjoy the fruits of my labour, to indulge in guilty pleasures I’d always denied myself. But its not easy to de-programme yourself – it honestly isn’t. I refused to spend 10k last night on a mace I wanted for Sardonica because its cheaper for me to get one made. Then I logged off. I didnt get it made and I still dont have the mace.
As I screen captured auditor for the post where I announced the million, I felt….relief. Nothing more. There was no elation. Sure there was satisfaction but nothing euphoric. I wasn’t running around the room cheering. And yes this was a massive disappointment for me, because I had spent so much time and effort in getting it done, I honestly wished I’d felt more. But in truth I got more pleasure getting my first 100g than the last half million.
And as I moved forward from that point I wanted to play differently. I wanted to be able to enjoy the fruits of my labour, to indulge in guilty pleasures I’d always denied myself. But its not easy to de-programme yourself – it honestly isn’t. I refused to spend 10k last night on a mace I wanted for Sardonica because its cheaper for me to get one made. Then I logged off. I didnt get it made and I still dont have the mace.
[Boy] I couldn't take it any longer, Lord I was crazed!
And when the feeling came upon me like a tidal wave
I started swearing to my god and on my mother's grave.
That I would love you to the end of time. I swore I would love you to the end of time
So now I'm praying for the end of time to hurry up and arrive
'Cause if I gotta spend another minute with you I don't think that I can really survive
I'll never break my promise or forget my vow, but God only knows what I can do right now
I'm praying for the end of time so I can end my time with you
There is a point to today’s post, as this will be the last post for the blog for a while. Possibly for a lot longer than a while. I intend to leave the blog in place but there will be no more posts written in the near future
I hit 1.1 million this week. 4.2 has been kind to me. And I felt nothing.
I sold a stack 15 volatile airs yesterday for 50g each when there were 40+ singles on the AH for 25g or less. I felt sorry for the purchaser. Sorry that they were so lazy/stupid/rich that they didn’t care.
Since I hit cap I’ve felt very little. I find myself unable to spend the glut of wealth that I have. And I find myself scanning the AH for no other reason than it’s what I do. Not to make as much gold as I can … but because the AH is where I log into the game and its through habit that I open the AH window and click on the >> button before going off to read a news website somewhere or other. Deep down I know I dont need to be doing it. I have money to buy flasks and enchants and mats and gems. Repairs are covered. Shit I could buy the entire AH and still have gold. Making gold has no purpose anymore and has therefore become a chore. And that's where its a pointless exercise.
And the blog has suffered as well. A year ago I was writing posts that I felt gave great insight for those readers who made the effort to apply what they read. Now I feel I have said all I have to say about gold making – I’m doing nothing different to what I was doing last week/month/year. And without inspiration the blog will slowly fall into decline, so I feel it is best to close things down now whilst I am still proud of what the blog has achieved.
It may be that I reinvent myself, or find new inspiration but for now I need to remove the pressure I place on myself to write regularly. A pressure that increases as I struggle more and more to find anything worthwhile to say.
A Tam said when he closed Righteous Orbs:
______________________I hit 1.1 million this week. 4.2 has been kind to me. And I felt nothing.
I sold a stack 15 volatile airs yesterday for 50g each when there were 40+ singles on the AH for 25g or less. I felt sorry for the purchaser. Sorry that they were so lazy/stupid/rich that they didn’t care.
Since I hit cap I’ve felt very little. I find myself unable to spend the glut of wealth that I have. And I find myself scanning the AH for no other reason than it’s what I do. Not to make as much gold as I can … but because the AH is where I log into the game and its through habit that I open the AH window and click on the >> button before going off to read a news website somewhere or other. Deep down I know I dont need to be doing it. I have money to buy flasks and enchants and mats and gems. Repairs are covered. Shit I could buy the entire AH and still have gold. Making gold has no purpose anymore and has therefore become a chore. And that's where its a pointless exercise.
And the blog has suffered as well. A year ago I was writing posts that I felt gave great insight for those readers who made the effort to apply what they read. Now I feel I have said all I have to say about gold making – I’m doing nothing different to what I was doing last week/month/year. And without inspiration the blog will slowly fall into decline, so I feel it is best to close things down now whilst I am still proud of what the blog has achieved.
It may be that I reinvent myself, or find new inspiration but for now I need to remove the pressure I place on myself to write regularly. A pressure that increases as I struggle more and more to find anything worthwhile to say.
A Tam said when he closed Righteous Orbs:
It is fitting that people appear, write, and then fade away; that others come to take their places, and say the same things in different ways. But there comes a point at which you have to ask yourself: is this still the same ship any more. Who are we writing for, and why? Things change, far more quickly than people do. It is time to move on.
I'm not leaving WoW. But I will be reducing my time in game a little. But that will be easy if I'm not spending 3 hours a day bouncing from one toon to another. I dont know how long a million gold will last me, but I dont see myself being a pauper in the near future and until then I will be living off my stockpiles of mats and when that fails my gold. I hope that eventually I learn to be frivolous.
Cat just asked me what I intend to do instead? I dont actually know - but eventually I will have a 'fuck it' moment and do something stupid - perhaps I'll pay for a run through Firelands ("OK priest go stand in the first patch of fire you see and leave the rest to us!") or some such madness. Who knows, but I know that until I find a way to spend gold I cannot write about making gold. There can be no drive without motivation and currently my nest egg means there can be no motivation.
Cat just asked me what I intend to do instead? I dont actually know - but eventually I will have a 'fuck it' moment and do something stupid - perhaps I'll pay for a run through Firelands ("OK priest go stand in the first patch of fire you see and leave the rest to us!") or some such madness. Who knows, but I know that until I find a way to spend gold I cannot write about making gold. There can be no drive without motivation and currently my nest egg means there can be no motivation.
[Boy] It was long ago and it was far away,
And it was so much better than it is today.
TO MY READERS: Thank you for your support and comments - this blog would be a poorer place without you. Your challenges to my ideas have always been the source of my best posts. Keep rich and enjoy your life on Azeroth.
Breevok.
And as my eiptaph:
There are goblins everywhere. We know our markets, we have gold to back us up and we aren't going anywhere. You may not know us but we will notice you. Enter our world with your eyes wide open - there is certainly gold to be made - but you will have to work for it. Leave your desperation at the door - because you aren't going to be a millionaire overnight. It's a long hard grind and if you aren't willing to put in the legwork you'd be better off sticking to your dailies.


18 comments:
Farewell.
I'm sad to see you go but I understand perfectly why the time is now. Yours was one of the early blogs I found & as a glypher, you & Foo have provided a huge amount of inspiration & the information I needed on my journey.
They do say 'be careful what you wish for' & I guess that includes what you aim for. It's been a bittersweet few weeks for me too but I have been spending & running around on my shiny new mounts.
Thank you for all your hard work on this blog & I hope we see you back here in the not too distant future. Best wishes to you & yours xx
All the best - thanks for all the work and interesting reads :)
Aww shame to see you go sard, this is without a doubt one of my favourite gold blogs, and talking to you in game is what kickstarted my drive to get more gold. Thanks for your help through those damn JC and Ench bottlenecks. If ever you are running out of things to buy my dk would love a pair of obsidium cleavers :D good luck mate, and enjoy!
I have gone through a similar experience. I have found despite my gold making ability and the two sons I have to help them with gold I still make gold each day. I dont rush to post anymore but I still do my AH turn each day. I find I enjoy making gold and still do it. I hate people ripping others off in trade so I tend to advise people as to what is going on.
I am well over 2million and from when I hit the million I slowed down. I am like you in that I still watch but the knowledge of how prices works lets me buy stuff cheaply. I have bought all of us vial of the sands...cheapest one was for 26k....yes it was too cheap.....no idea why think just frustrated he couldnt sell it. Was one of those countdown...buy for 40k buy for 39k...no one would.
If you enjoyed doing the goldmaking you will likely continue to do it. i still watch my gold but I also spend a lot. I play less AH and more with my chars these days.
As to deprogram yourself....that is extremely hard. I know I cant. Tone it down sure. Spend...sure. Take it easy and enjoy what you like.
Brent
Sorry to hear you're closing shop, Breevok.
Although I fully understand why, since I'm in the same boat - just hit a million myself and I now feel it's time to move on.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you sincerely for all your work. Your blog has consistently been the best written of them all, and your writing style is highly entertaining. You've provided countless of good tips, many of them even original which is quite a feat on its own. Kudos! :)
I hope you will find joy in the game and in future avenues! But please don't stop writing. You may not wish to continue writing about gold making, but I'm sure there are other things you could think of.. =)
All the best, and thank you.
I've been following your blog for over a year, and you've personally done more to change the way I play than even Gevlon himself. Thank you so much for everything you've shared and for helping the other budding goblins out there find a new way to play.
Take care, and enjoy the little things. Seeing WoW from the start with a fresh pair of eyes beside you is a totally new experience, and one to be relished. Good luck and I'm sure many of us will still be here if/when you come back to the blogosphere.
Though I may not have ever commented before, I've been reading and enjoying and learning for some time, and for that I must thank you.
You are endlessly entertaining and highly relate-able in your hopes and your faults. I wish you the best, and the motivation to do something new and interesting!
Being real'ish to wow and gold it is interesting to see what happens to goblins when they hit their goal, must seem to have this empty feeling while a few decide to head for the next milestone.
Anyways good luck your blog is a great read, pity to see you stop updating it.
You'll always be one of my favorites, as I don't think you've ever had a post I didn't enjoy. Good luck with all you do.
Breevok - You were one of the first blogs I came across when I started my gold making journey. I looked forward to every new post you wrote and truly enjoyed every one of them.
Good luck to you and dont hesitate to throw up the occasional post! I still have you on my RSS Feed.
Aeg
Concur on all points, man. My goal was less (500k) but the elation was no more tangible. Instead, I felt like I had just finished a homework assignment - relief that a task was accomplished, nothing more.
Good luck with the "deprogramming" though. Even when there was no reason to keep my liquid gold above 400k, I cannot bring myself to buy anything I could make myself for cheaper. Time is money, but I can't seem to bring myself to turn money back into time.
Thank you for everything you shared along the way.
Seems like there are a lot of people feeling the same way you do, including myself. Though my fuel to make gold has mostly been fear of virtual poverty, I still can't spend large chunks of my gold without regretting it. That way I can't enjoy what I buy. Now I have bought a seahorse, mounted up once, thought I am an idiot to pay so much gold for it, and haven't logged on to my main since. Just doing the AH grind to get back what I spent -.-
Not that I would need to...
Anyway, take care and have fun, easier said than done....
Jinx
You were one of the firsts I added to my blogroll, back in the day, as you were always one of my daily must reads.
Take Care Breevok
Thank you for a great ride! Millions come and go, but good blogs stay on, if only in memory!
Hugs from a fellow goblin
I found this blog linked by Spinks today.
If you had sent me a mail about your blog, I'd known about it. You know, I don't have an all-seeing eye.
GAAAAR not you too!!!
Thats three amazing blogs shutting down ion a month.You (the most interesting), Bangkok Bill (good luck mate) and one other ill not mention (Sagayu im looking at you).
Good luck in future, and hope to read more about your social aspects of WoW.
So long, and thankyou for the blog.
and this is one of the main reasons why I won't take making gold so seriously to the point where I won't spend gold on things that make the game more enjoyable. I hit 50,000 this past week and although I'm still over that point, I also spent about 5000g on some upgraded gear for my DK as he dinged 85. I did it to make his transition from leveling to 'end game' a little easier. I won't focus on gold so much that it makes it simply about that. I have seen goblin after goblin hit the cap only to sigh and then either quit or at least express their honest disappointment at the lack of 'thrill' for getting to the great summit. Why spend so much time and energy for something that doesn't even bring the thrill of getting there??? No thanks... I'll just be happy making some decent gold while still enjoying playing the game. (we only started 2 months before Wrath came out).
Post a Comment