Monday, January 10, 2011

Milestones - it seems they are important. To me at least


This is the new and improved Breevok, druid, worgen. I'm still very fond of her even though by the time she reaches 85 we'll be into the next expansion I expect.

When expansions are released we set ourselves goals - personal milestones. For some its gearing toons, for others its acheivements. Most guilds (bar those who are too 'cool' for school and refuse)  acknowledge when a guildie meets one of these milestones. Its part of what makes guilds successful. It's part of what makes guild more than the sum of their parts

From hardcore raiding guilds, down to the simplist leveling/social guild - "Gratz" will generally get typed by many when an achievement pops, when 'ding!' is called. It makes most players happy to know that others have been successful in their endevours.

Except it seems for gold. I share a guild with Foo these days, and much as Foo and I disagree on things, Foo has a heart of gold (no pun intended) and tries his best for those around him - even though he has only recently joined MTRs.

One of the ways Foo helps is to give advice regarding money - how he sees others can improve their income. Some people want this advice, but most don't. The same happens if I try to help. It's as though gold is dirty word.

My guildies mostly know I write a blog. Several read every post - others don't bother. I have inspired one or two to do down the road of focusing on gold accumulation - thankfully successfully - but for the majority my gold making activities are not something to celebrate or take interest in - even though its one the things I enjoy doing in game

Yes gold is weird indeed. If you are successful at accruing it and are knowledgeable about getting it - its seen by some as bragging which makes no sense to me.

Anyway, I reached a milestone tonight:


Tonight I am officially more than 50% of the way to gold cap. Two cards sold today bringing in nearly 80k. Glyphs are selling at a frightening rate of knots and surprisingly I reach 500k today. I knew one card had sold at lunch time, so I had hoped that I would reach this number by the weekend. So I was amazed when the second card sold tonight - leaving me just a few hundred gold short. A visit to Breevok who is selling flasks for me at the moment and I was over the line.

Yet was there celebration in guild? No. Have I told them? Not really.

I mentioned it in passing to a couple of people and got a 'k' from one and a 'oh' from another.

This seems weird to me. When someone breaks 9,000 achievement points there is huge kudos handed around. When the guild got a Lich King kill there was jubilation for days. Shit even someone reaching level 85 gets extended plaudits.

Yet long hard work and effort in reaching 500,000 gold - and you hardly mention it for fear of people thinking you are showing off.

To those people - there is a part of me that wants to say 'screw you' but I won't. I set myself a target and I got there. It took as much work as it took any of you to reach whatever pinnacles you have within the game. Making gold always has been the un-named secondary profession in WoW and like many skills that are learnt within the game it takes time, effort, knowledge and practice to be good at it.

If you can't be happy that I have reached a goal then so be it. But my displaying of pleasure at doing so, is not me boasting. It's just someone wishing to share their happiness with others.

Perhaps it would be easier if you got 10 achievement points for reaching 500k. People would think it was OK then wouldnt they?

17 comments:

Admin said...

No, you deserve to boast about it! In the "normal" WoW world, that isn't seen as an accomplishment (like you mentioned), but to us here (I can at least speak for me), these are our achievements, so GRATS! DING! 500K is an achievement, so by all means, wear it proudly! We know that it takes time and alot of patience to get to that point! So once again, congrats! And you know what? Enjoy. It's a good feeling when you see that amount. Keep rocking it! Go for the Mill!

Drayden said...

Grats!

Anonymous said...

I have the same reaction in my guild and I dont event have that much gold :) I'm going to hit 100k this week and that has been my milestone. I only had 18k before this expansion, so I feel its an accomplishment. But I will probably not share it with that many ppl.

Kreaton said...

Luckly enough you have lots of readers willing to do what your guildies won't! Congrats ^^
That really should earn you some achievement point ;-)

Unknown said...

Hehe, the funny thing is i reached 500k yesterday as well. And im sitting with the exact same feeling. I did a "whoohoo, i just passed 500k" in guild chat, and barely got any response, and those who did respond, said "show off".

Most of the ppl in my guild know that im working the AH, but the majorety of them "just dont get it".

Kammler said...

Gratz!

Think of your blog readers as your gold guild. That's where the accomplishment will get recognition.

Half your guildies are wondering "how much did I pay in the AH to help him?" and the other half are thinking "how can I get that much gold".

Keep it up!

Unknown said...

You're awesome man - I read this regularly and enjoy watching your achievements. I hit 300k recently myself, and would probably be at 400k now except for a spending spree to sprinkle some epics around the guild.

Still, I completely understand your feeling. In my guild, I almost feel like I'm supposed to be embarrassed or ashamed of my miserly scrooge ways (which are neither).

It's definitely not ill intent though. It's exactly what you, and all of us gold-getters understand--it's just a subculture of our own. Those not in it don't get it.

I'm not sure it's fair to expect them to. I don't talk about WoW at work. I don't talk about home-schooling with WoW people.
Those not in our subculture don't understand. They either think they could never do it, and struggle with resenting you, or think that you must have no life to do it, and it's a symptom of some kind of extra nerdiness that shouldn't be encouraged. It's just ignorance, not intentional rudeness, so my response is just to expect it and not take offense from it. Celebrate with those who do understand - cause that's a big achievement!

Anonymous said...

Grats, Breevok!

The ultimate irony of all this is that if all the gold-bloggers were to form a guild, we'd all steal so much profit from one another that none of us would be rich. The life of an auctioneer is intrinsically that of a soloist (in-game).

Zenith said...

Nicely done Breevok. If only we can x-server form a guild. Our combined wealth greater than te total gold on the smallest populated server? Dream on Zenit, dream on.

Anonymous said...

500k is a huge milestone! congrats!

BellaTheTank said...

Hi Mate,
Guess I wasn't on when you made the milestone, so huge congratulations to you.
But I agree on your post. I only told you about my own milestone on New Years Eve as I have the same feelings of that no one else understands/cares.
(For the rest of the readers, I promised myself I'd break 100k before 2011 hit)

It would be an interesting research piece to find out the wealth curve in a guild, but possibly not something the bulk of people are likely to be comfortable with providing information.

B

Azuriel said...

Not all that hard to understand. My checking account recently hit $5,000 which is the first time it has ever been that high, and I consider it a particular achievement after I went to basically $0 being out of work for 14 months. If I told that to my friends or family members, many who live paycheck to paycheck, do you think they would congratulate me? Nope.

To a certain extent, I'd agree with them that mentioning it at all would be bragging, just like saying you have an IQ of 160 or whatever. There is a difference between an achievement that comes about because someone focused their interest on it, and an achievement which demonstrates you are simply smarter/better than someone else (even if that is not even true). People can "Gratz!" someone with the 100 mount achievement because in the back of their mind they're thinking "I could do that if I cared." As we already know, getting a bunch of gold is really not all that much different from a practical standpoint, but obviously these people care about gold and still can't get much despite that desire.

But, hey, what can you do? You tried to help them, and that's the important thing.

Breevok said...

The thing is gold is not money. Its binary code in a game. Reaching a milestone of gold is no different to killing the Lich King in hard mode or getting exalted with your 50th race. Its all part of the same game and therefore no less of a reason to be able to ackowledge the achievement without jealousy or pettiness.

Its peoples screwed up perceptions of the fact gold 'is' money that is part of the issue here

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling from my own guild.. There's 1 or 2 people out of around 75 that play the AH a bit and can enjoy a conversation about good deals. The rest?

All you get from them is "Oh there he is again with his bragging about how much he's playing the AH for", "Why waste your time on the AH", "blabla". On the other hand its perfectly fine for them to moan for 10 minutes about how horrible their group is or about their, pretty much nonexistant, personal life that nobody gives a shit about.. :P

The Lost Meeple said...

Congrats on hitting 500k!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on reaching that milestone it is something to be proud of.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I'm sitting at 380K, and 500K is my next goal. Probably won't announce it in /g chat though (even though I'd love to!)

Post a Comment