Happy New Year. So we creep into the early part of 2011, alas work has begun again (no I didnt win Lotto ... I must remember to buy tickets this year as this might help) and normality has started to resume.
New Years tends to be somewhat of an anticlimax for me. I guess I'm a little old for getting hammered and wandering the streets of whatever city I reside until dawn. I did that in my youth and when part of your youth included living in Glasgow, well lets just say once you've experienced Hogmanay all other New Year celebrations tend to pale into insignificance.
Also a few traditions that were once associated with New Years no longer occur. Some of these were the usual but some somewhat outlandish. Take for example the 'Death List' game.
The rules are simple. Get a group of friends to write a list of 10 celebrities (how you define the term celebrity is up to you)who they think will die in the coming year. If a person on a list dies, then the owner of that list(s) gets 1 point using the following simple to remember equation:
On New Years Eve you tally up all the points scored in the previous year the the winner gets a prize. For example, Oscar nominated actor Pete Postletwaite died two days ago aged 64. He would score 36 points. American Actress Honey West died yesterday aged 80. She would give you 20 points.
Now before you get all horrified, let me remind you that people die. They die all the time. You're born, you live, you die. It happens. Stop being precious.
The Death List game was an invention of a dear friend of mine, Scott. Scott was one of the most interesting and caring friends a person could ever have, who got me through many dark times. He had a sardonic take on life but love his friends and family dearly. He kept tarantulas and scorpions. He once lost a scorpion in the skirting boards of his bedroom, and we never did find it
Scott died on January 2nd 2007, aged 34. Scott wasnt on my Death List for 2007, although if he had been I would have scored 66 points and would have undoubtedly won the game for the year. Scott would have found this very very funny, even if my readers don't.
I also don't tend to set New Years resolutions - they just end in failure so why bother? But there are a few things I'd like to achieve in 2011, including a few in WoW.
1 Carry on smoking (although I may give up, but its unlikely)
2 Carry on drinking coffee (no chance of giving up)
3 Get to 500k gold in WoW (achievable but suddenly I dont see the rush)
4 Have a great guild meet in Australia in October
Outside of that my goals are limited. I don't see much point in set myself targets - it either leads to disappointments or a sense of 'so now what' if you do achieve them. So 2011 will be a year of going with the flow and seeing where life takes me.
Good luck to you all in 2011, I'll be here throughout so feel free to pop by anytime
New Years tends to be somewhat of an anticlimax for me. I guess I'm a little old for getting hammered and wandering the streets of whatever city I reside until dawn. I did that in my youth and when part of your youth included living in Glasgow, well lets just say once you've experienced Hogmanay all other New Year celebrations tend to pale into insignificance.
Also a few traditions that were once associated with New Years no longer occur. Some of these were the usual but some somewhat outlandish. Take for example the 'Death List' game.
The rules are simple. Get a group of friends to write a list of 10 celebrities (how you define the term celebrity is up to you)who they think will die in the coming year. If a person on a list dies, then the owner of that list(s) gets 1 point using the following simple to remember equation:
100 - (age in years at death)
On New Years Eve you tally up all the points scored in the previous year the the winner gets a prize. For example, Oscar nominated actor Pete Postletwaite died two days ago aged 64. He would score 36 points. American Actress Honey West died yesterday aged 80. She would give you 20 points.
Now before you get all horrified, let me remind you that people die. They die all the time. You're born, you live, you die. It happens. Stop being precious.
The Death List game was an invention of a dear friend of mine, Scott. Scott was one of the most interesting and caring friends a person could ever have, who got me through many dark times. He had a sardonic take on life but love his friends and family dearly. He kept tarantulas and scorpions. He once lost a scorpion in the skirting boards of his bedroom, and we never did find it
Scott died on January 2nd 2007, aged 34. Scott wasnt on my Death List for 2007, although if he had been I would have scored 66 points and would have undoubtedly won the game for the year. Scott would have found this very very funny, even if my readers don't.
I also don't tend to set New Years resolutions - they just end in failure so why bother? But there are a few things I'd like to achieve in 2011, including a few in WoW.
1 Carry on smoking (although I may give up, but its unlikely)
2 Carry on drinking coffee (no chance of giving up)
3 Get to 500k gold in WoW (achievable but suddenly I dont see the rush)
4 Have a great guild meet in Australia in October
Outside of that my goals are limited. I don't see much point in set myself targets - it either leads to disappointments or a sense of 'so now what' if you do achieve them. So 2011 will be a year of going with the flow and seeing where life takes me.
Good luck to you all in 2011, I'll be here throughout so feel free to pop by anytime

1 comment:
One thing about the coffee. I became alergic to Caffeine a year and a half ago, and it sucks... Coffee was my lifeblood. Hope it doesn't happen to you. Love reading your blog.
Post a Comment