One thing that the Netherweave Bag posts did get me thinking about was bank space.
There are many many posts in the gold-blogsphere about how much gold you make per hour. How farming is not an efficient use of time etc etc.
But as we all prepare for Cataclysm, a new factor is needing to be considered - gold per bank slot....
I have 10 toons on Caelestrasz.
Five of these are in More Than Raids, and therefore must survive on their personal banks for storage.
My one horde toon is in a guild and also must rely on her own bank for storage.
I have one toon in a shared guild with Cat - which has a six tab guild bank - I use three of them
I own three other guilds all with four tab guild banks
Therefore in total I have 1470 guild bank slots plus another approximately a 1000 personal bank slots to use for storage (I do use some of them for personal items such as gear and other nick nacks).
But lets say that at a maximum I have 2500 bank slots to play with. It sounds a lot doesnt it? Yeah working it out as I write this post it certainly does. But I admit I am pressured for space at the moment.
Buying a new bank slot is going to cost me 2.5k for another 98 slots - thats 25g a slot. Is it worth doing it?
Netherweave cloth is currently being sold for around 3g a stack. In the worse case scenario, 3g is a good price because you can turn the cloth into heavy Netherweave Bandages and sell them for 30s each.
The trouble is, stacks of netherweave cloth are pretty space intensive. At 3g a slot its not worth buying a bank tab just to store it.
So what are your options? Well of course you can turn it into bolts. As five cloth make a bolt, for the same bank slot you can can store 20 bolts of netherweave which is made from five stacks of netherweave. Thus you can store 5 times as much
This issue here is that you take your fall back position, of making bandages, out of the game.
Its similar with Saronite Ore - do you store it as ore (with the option to make bars if it all goes to crap come Cataclysm) or as the more space efficient option of Saronite Bars?
One of the pieces of advice I give freely is to give yourself options come Cataclysm. For me it's best to store saronite as ore as it allows you to make bars if needed, but allows you to prospect it if the JC market becomes lucrative. Flexibility is the key with any expansion - because, if we were entirely honest with ourselves, we don't know 100% what will happen in Cataclysm.
There are many many posts in the gold-blogsphere about how much gold you make per hour. How farming is not an efficient use of time etc etc.
But as we all prepare for Cataclysm, a new factor is needing to be considered - gold per bank slot....
I have 10 toons on Caelestrasz.
Five of these are in More Than Raids, and therefore must survive on their personal banks for storage.
My one horde toon is in a guild and also must rely on her own bank for storage.
I have one toon in a shared guild with Cat - which has a six tab guild bank - I use three of them
I own three other guilds all with four tab guild banks
Therefore in total I have 1470 guild bank slots plus another approximately a 1000 personal bank slots to use for storage (I do use some of them for personal items such as gear and other nick nacks).
But lets say that at a maximum I have 2500 bank slots to play with. It sounds a lot doesnt it? Yeah working it out as I write this post it certainly does. But I admit I am pressured for space at the moment.
Buying a new bank slot is going to cost me 2.5k for another 98 slots - thats 25g a slot. Is it worth doing it?
________________________
Netherweave cloth is a case in point.Netherweave cloth is currently being sold for around 3g a stack. In the worse case scenario, 3g is a good price because you can turn the cloth into heavy Netherweave Bandages and sell them for 30s each.
10 x Heavy Netherweave Bandages = 20 Netherweave Cloth = 3g
The trouble is, stacks of netherweave cloth are pretty space intensive. At 3g a slot its not worth buying a bank tab just to store it.
So what are your options? Well of course you can turn it into bolts. As five cloth make a bolt, for the same bank slot you can can store 20 bolts of netherweave which is made from five stacks of netherweave. Thus you can store 5 times as much
This issue here is that you take your fall back position, of making bandages, out of the game.
Its similar with Saronite Ore - do you store it as ore (with the option to make bars if it all goes to crap come Cataclysm) or as the more space efficient option of Saronite Bars?
One of the pieces of advice I give freely is to give yourself options come Cataclysm. For me it's best to store saronite as ore as it allows you to make bars if needed, but allows you to prospect it if the JC market becomes lucrative. Flexibility is the key with any expansion - because, if we were entirely honest with ourselves, we don't know 100% what will happen in Cataclysm.
__________________________
My solution to bank space is to work out what I think will give me bang for my bank slot. If I had only a single bank slot left I would take a stack of eternal fire over a stack of netherweave. Why? Because if I make a bag I sell it for 20g. If I sell the Eternal fire I sell them for 200g. Thus the eternal fire is the better option.
I will try and keep as much as I can unprocessed but if space becomes a real issue, I will convert the items I feel will have the lowest chance to cost me gold - basically working on the safest bets first.

8 comments:
You say per slot it would cost you effectively 25g per slot to buy another guild bank. Wouldn't the easier solution be to roll another toon and buy netherweave bags for it's inventory/bank? Say you buy 10 netherweave bags at 5g each, which is the current price horde side, that's 160 slots for 50g, reducing each slot to a 3.3 gold cost per slot if my maths doesn't fail me.
Alas 10 toons is all you can have on a single server :( There is possibly one toon I could pull out of MTRs but that would be only if I had no other choice
You not only have to compare the cost per slot to the item you want to place in that slot. You also have to include ALL items you will EVER put in that slot. So if you only buy a slot to use it once and then never fill it again you are right. Otherwise your formula is erroneous.
You bring up a good point about liquidating less valuable items in your storage when you run out of space stocking up for a patch like 4.0.3a. One thing you need to remember though is diversifying. It does not make much sense stocking up on item A only if you cannot sell it all. That's why it might be more profitable to store less valuable items alongside the more valuable ones.
It comes down to determining the correct demand and adjust your stock to that demand (taking supply by others into account as well).
Why not use the 30days mail storage available?
Im sending all Ores to one char. Have filled my bags and bank-slots. Now im filling up the mailbox. Selling from the Bank/bags, refill from mailbox.
mail storage is risky since you have a timed limit on it and after the fist bounce they get deleted. I fell to those mail storage gods mercy once back in classic to a stack of arcanite crystals.. Brutal
My solution was to have more guild banks, not ideal but cheap. bought a guild with 4 tabs for 300g and made the other from scratch. That was my solution to my bag space issues.
I only got 1 guild bank, and personal banks, and then I use mail storage. I use zeroauctions auto-mail function, I just automail all the goods I want to my main toon, then after it's all mailed redirect the automail to a largely unused alt. Then let it pick-up and automail for 5 minutes... and it's gone for 30 days.
Then there's 30 more days cushion, which is why I always do the mailing from my main toon. Can't forget about it that way. But if the automail is still set, it's very easy to just pickup and remail once every thirty days, and it's never lost unless I'm gone from my main for over 30 days.
At 5 minutes per remail - that's a lot of gold per hour in saved bank tabs...
But how do you know what you have? I think it would drive me nuts not having everything in neat lines. Plus spreadsheets. Lots and lots of spreadsheets
Interesting post. Made me review my bank slots and decide I have made an error in calculation. I have 9 toons (8 alli, 1 horde) and one slot saved for new Worgen. So new toons isn't an option.
I have 3 toons in one guild so their own bank is all they have, plus bags. Then I have 3 guilds with 4 tabs each.
I had used the mail option but it is so f'ing confusing with stuff all over the place--not a direct line between toons, more of a spider web, if you need a visual. And remembering how much of XX I have is impossible--addons don't always track mail inventory accurately.
I had decided against buying another tab at 2,500g for the same reason you outlined above--25g per slot. I have been dumping quantities of low margin goods in favor of (riskier) higher margin goods.
Mads gets props from me for showing how this logic is flawed. True, the investment seems large but frankly, I'll earn the 2,500g back in a day or two. Long term the use of that tab comes down to costs in silver or copper, not gold. And the extra tabs can be used for as long as I have the guild.
First time visitor, I'm impressed. /cheer
Post a Comment