Can you make gold as a low level scribe? This was a question I asked myself on the weekend, and the answer is quite emphatically -YES!
I mentioned I was running a 'Rags to Riches' session on another server. I'd made that toon a LWer/Skinner (I wanted to try without using an enchanter for once), and have quite easily got to level 20 with five hundred gold.
I thought to myself, "Well if I dont need a (dis)enchanter, then can I do this with any profession?", which lead to the "Seeing as so much of my gold has been made recently with Inscription, lets have a look at that."
OK it was simple, create a priest, level to 5, run to Undercity, learn inscription. Send toon 50g.
Buy peacebloom, silverleaf and earthroot at 15s or less. 18 ivory inks. Create Scrolls of Stamina.
Up to this points its basically dead money. Total cost a lot less than 10g
The next day, more herbs, but now made Moonglow Ink. Made Vellums. Listed Vellums. Vellums sell overnight. Total Cost, 3g after sales.
The whole point here is to get to skill level 75 - the point where everything changes
At level 75 two things happen. Firstly you get to make Midnight Ink (from Fadeleaf, Swiftthistle, Bruiseweed, Briarthorn and Stranglekelp) but more importantly you get minor inscription research.
The key to glyphs (and always will be) is knowing glyphs that others don't. Everyone knows "Glyph of Backstab" - its taught to you when you hit skill 80. But to learn the minor glyphs you have to do your research each day. People are lazy. People dont bother.
I got lucky I admit - the first research gave me "Glyph of Lay on Hands" which is a popular minor glyph. Because of the random server I'd picked I managed to learn "Glyph of Mark of the Wild" 30 minutes later (midnight server time).
Snapping up herbs for the ink at 75s or less, I created enough pigment to make 9 midnight inks for 30g. I made two Lay of Hands and a Mark of the Wild.
Listing these for 35g and 15g respectively (undercutting market by 1g) - they sold overnight. More herbs, more glyphs - more sales. When I get home tonight I will have more than 150g to start buying herbs with and another glyph to learn.
I honestly don't think there is another profession where at skill level 75 you can basically start printing money. So even if you have no interest in inscription - just make one anyway - get it to level 75 (which will cost you less than 50g) and just do your research each day. At worst you'll be able to make some random minor glyphs for yourself and friends, at best you can start a new gold making enterprise.
I mentioned I was running a 'Rags to Riches' session on another server. I'd made that toon a LWer/Skinner (I wanted to try without using an enchanter for once), and have quite easily got to level 20 with five hundred gold.
I thought to myself, "Well if I dont need a (dis)enchanter, then can I do this with any profession?", which lead to the "Seeing as so much of my gold has been made recently with Inscription, lets have a look at that."
OK it was simple, create a priest, level to 5, run to Undercity, learn inscription. Send toon 50g.
Buy peacebloom, silverleaf and earthroot at 15s or less. 18 ivory inks. Create Scrolls of Stamina.
Up to this points its basically dead money. Total cost a lot less than 10g
The next day, more herbs, but now made Moonglow Ink. Made Vellums. Listed Vellums. Vellums sell overnight. Total Cost, 3g after sales.
The whole point here is to get to skill level 75 - the point where everything changes
At level 75 two things happen. Firstly you get to make Midnight Ink (from Fadeleaf, Swiftthistle, Bruiseweed, Briarthorn and Stranglekelp) but more importantly you get minor inscription research.
The key to glyphs (and always will be) is knowing glyphs that others don't. Everyone knows "Glyph of Backstab" - its taught to you when you hit skill 80. But to learn the minor glyphs you have to do your research each day. People are lazy. People dont bother.
I got lucky I admit - the first research gave me "Glyph of Lay on Hands" which is a popular minor glyph. Because of the random server I'd picked I managed to learn "Glyph of Mark of the Wild" 30 minutes later (midnight server time).
Snapping up herbs for the ink at 75s or less, I created enough pigment to make 9 midnight inks for 30g. I made two Lay of Hands and a Mark of the Wild.
Listing these for 35g and 15g respectively (undercutting market by 1g) - they sold overnight. More herbs, more glyphs - more sales. When I get home tonight I will have more than 150g to start buying herbs with and another glyph to learn.
I honestly don't think there is another profession where at skill level 75 you can basically start printing money. So even if you have no interest in inscription - just make one anyway - get it to level 75 (which will cost you less than 50g) and just do your research each day. At worst you'll be able to make some random minor glyphs for yourself and friends, at best you can start a new gold making enterprise.

3 comments:
That is some very sound advice. not everyone has loads of alts with all professions, and this is a great way for some people to make a bit of extra gold.
I would do this if i didnt already have a scribe.
I had an old Shaman I gave up on at level 53. A while ago I re-specced his enchanting to inscription just to make weapon vellums for heirloom enchants because I never had a good supply of them from the auction house.
Using his profession I make more gold than off my maxed out 80's.
I do wonder how inscription will hold up in Cataclysm, after the first couple of months I assume the market will slow down and mature to the point where there is not much profit to be made.
Very sound advice, if you need to get rid of the odd pigments (verdant etc) you get early on I found surprising profits in the darkmoon faire cards, but that is server dependant.
This seems like a great idea for my bank alt on my second server...why *not*?
Post a Comment