Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Apprentice - Week One Challenge - The Results

Well the golds been counted and the final figures are in. And the result was a nailbiter...

In theory we have a winner, but in truth I am calling this one a draw.
The final results were as follows:
Imrahill - 1500g (less AH fees) - 1425g
Breevok - 1661g 71s 27c

So why am I calling this a draw? In short, because Immy had a better gold/hour return than I did. Let me explain.

Friday PM - following my last post I knew I had to make some decisions and make them fast. Looking at prices I hedged by bets and did the following:
10 stacks of ore - turned into bars and sold
50 stacks of ore - prospected.

The prospecting produced 217 uncommon and 41 rare gems. Unfortunately of the 217, 46 were dark jade and 21 were shadow crystal. These 78 were cut and sold, with about 1 in 4 cutting perfect to boost the amount.

The rest of the uncommons were combined with crystallized earth (which cost me just under 90g to buy as I thought it unfair to use my stockpiles) and DE'd. The result was 286 Infinite Dust, 36 lesser cosmic essences and a couple of small dream shards. Unfortunately I managed to pick a bad window and had to flick the essences for about 2g each, dusts for 3g. I even moved some gold across the neutral AH and sold horde side but again I hit a busy period, which was even more annoying as this morning they are selling for 7g a pop.

Whcih just left the rare gems. My original plan was to cut and vendor for 4g50, however I decided to try listing a few gems on the AH, which really worked out for me - I sold 25 at between 18 and 30g each which really is the difference between myself and Immy.
_______________________

So what did Immy do?

Simply put - since wednesday he'd been selling the ore for 25g a stack. And thats it. Nothing complex, no saronite shuffle. He sold the ore and nearly beat me.

I learnt a valuable lesson - dont over-complicate your thinking - sometimes the most obvious ideas are the best.

I think the actual best in the time contraints of the challenge, would have been to turn all to bars and sell them as bars - which would have netted around 2,000g, but selling the ore was more gold/hour than I made - to the final decision is a draw.

2 comments:

Xylaria said...

Was that Imrahill's idea that something simple like that would beat you?
Or did he not really know what else he could've done with it?

I probably wouldn't haven gotten further than selling the ore or bars myself either :)
maybe see if there were any good blacksmithing products to sell, but that would probably be a bit disappointing...

Vayaz said...

Selling Bars is indeed very profitable at the moment, now that the regular ore supply has dried up.

Seeing that Cobalt Ore sells for 1-2g each (Saronite far less), but both Bars sell for 4g all the time... Well, yeah. If one would do the math before crafting, this should prove the best way to sell them.

Post a Comment