This is a WoW post - just the first couple of paragraphs arent - so skip that if you want :P
I admit I have mentioned it a lot recently - but work has been a complete bitch recently. I work at a University and currently two of the positions that report to me are vacant. This has meant a significant workload increase over the past couple of months and my remaining staff and myself. Add to that the pressures that always arrive at the end of a teaching period, and its been pretty full on.
However after today all the results will be done and I get a week to breathe before the next teaching period begins. Alas all of next week is taken up with training on the new software about to be rolled out across the University - so things arent easing off entirely - but I can feel the pressure lifting slightly.
Pressure is something I've been feeling in WoW as well.
I have been invited to the GKP runs a lot recently - both on my hunter and my priest. Originally I was only taking my hunter - because I felt it was easier to hide in the crowd plus I was finding it harder to gear her up. Also I was able to just focus on me and my toon, get out of the fire, kill stuff without the additional pressure of having to keep a tank alive as well.
But then I got Puraa saved to a non GKP run and my priest got an invite instead. It was an awesome night - I took Sardonica further into ICC25 than he'd been before and I healed with a Pally that was also relatively new to ICC25 bosses past Saurfang.
And the tanks didnt die.
The funny thing was - once I got past the nervousness of being such a lynchpin in the run - I realised that I was having a blast. Meters dont matter for healers - HPS is unimportant (bar for Dreamwalker) espeically for disc priests - all you are worried about is whether you, your tanks and the rest of the raid has a health bar.
On Puraa, I feel fail if I dont sit in the top 4 or 5 on the charts - you know others are looking and reviewing the meters just as you are.
Yes there are some fights that sure Range>Melee, or Melee>Range. But you should be able to give rough comparisons against your fellow range DPS.
Sure there are fights where your DPS suffers (Saurfang for example - you will never pull the numbers you do on Festergut because of switching targets etc) but generally if you are suffering so are your fellow DPSers. I dont care if I am pulling 12k on fester or 8k on Rotface - just as long as I near the better end of the DPS without dying or causing anyone else to die - and causing the healers to spend as little time on me as possible.
I now record my DPS on a fight each week and try to improve everytime I get to that particular boss. I broke 12k on Fester this week but got lucky and only vomited twice. Next time I might get hit 4 or 5 times and be lucky to break 10k.
For the Blood Council I generally get given Kinetic Bombs to deal with. The first few times I solely focused on the bombs and the result was pulling around1k DPS for the entire fight - but as I have grown comfortable with this role I have started being able to do some DPS on the bosses as well - and broke 2.8k this week for the first time! Baby steps and all that. But man that fight kills my overall DPS for the run!
Overall this last week I ended up third on the run behind a Ret Pally and a shadow priest. The shadow priest amazes me - I honestly dont know how she does it. And we arent just talking on AoE pulls - we are talking single targets as well. I did top her on Fester this time but she still pulled 11k. My priest is bettered geared than hers and would be lucky to pull 8k. I really do have to work on his shadow dps. .
I have 250 EoFs on Sard and nothing to spend them on so I think I need to bite the bullet and go for the four piece T10 set. It would be too bad - I could get the t10 head and replace a ilvl 251 with the t10 251. The legs would be exchange from a 264 set but that wouldnt be a huge loss.
So its weird - I feel less pressure on the priest in GKP 25 man runs than I do the hunter, but for guild 10 man progression runs (we are 10/12 now btw) I feel huge pressure on the priest and try and bring Puraa if possible.
All this is just a tad funny - that what I am running and who I am running with can so dramatically change the pressures I feel. I guess that's what WoW is all about
I admit I have mentioned it a lot recently - but work has been a complete bitch recently. I work at a University and currently two of the positions that report to me are vacant. This has meant a significant workload increase over the past couple of months and my remaining staff and myself. Add to that the pressures that always arrive at the end of a teaching period, and its been pretty full on.
However after today all the results will be done and I get a week to breathe before the next teaching period begins. Alas all of next week is taken up with training on the new software about to be rolled out across the University - so things arent easing off entirely - but I can feel the pressure lifting slightly.
Pressure is something I've been feeling in WoW as well.
I have been invited to the GKP runs a lot recently - both on my hunter and my priest. Originally I was only taking my hunter - because I felt it was easier to hide in the crowd plus I was finding it harder to gear her up. Also I was able to just focus on me and my toon, get out of the fire, kill stuff without the additional pressure of having to keep a tank alive as well.
But then I got Puraa saved to a non GKP run and my priest got an invite instead. It was an awesome night - I took Sardonica further into ICC25 than he'd been before and I healed with a Pally that was also relatively new to ICC25 bosses past Saurfang.
And the tanks didnt die.
The funny thing was - once I got past the nervousness of being such a lynchpin in the run - I realised that I was having a blast. Meters dont matter for healers - HPS is unimportant (bar for Dreamwalker) espeically for disc priests - all you are worried about is whether you, your tanks and the rest of the raid has a health bar.
On Puraa, I feel fail if I dont sit in the top 4 or 5 on the charts - you know others are looking and reviewing the meters just as you are.
Yes there are some fights that sure Range>Melee, or Melee>Range. But you should be able to give rough comparisons against your fellow range DPS.
Sure there are fights where your DPS suffers (Saurfang for example - you will never pull the numbers you do on Festergut because of switching targets etc) but generally if you are suffering so are your fellow DPSers. I dont care if I am pulling 12k on fester or 8k on Rotface - just as long as I near the better end of the DPS without dying or causing anyone else to die - and causing the healers to spend as little time on me as possible.
I now record my DPS on a fight each week and try to improve everytime I get to that particular boss. I broke 12k on Fester this week but got lucky and only vomited twice. Next time I might get hit 4 or 5 times and be lucky to break 10k.
For the Blood Council I generally get given Kinetic Bombs to deal with. The first few times I solely focused on the bombs and the result was pulling around1k DPS for the entire fight - but as I have grown comfortable with this role I have started being able to do some DPS on the bosses as well - and broke 2.8k this week for the first time! Baby steps and all that. But man that fight kills my overall DPS for the run!
Overall this last week I ended up third on the run behind a Ret Pally and a shadow priest. The shadow priest amazes me - I honestly dont know how she does it. And we arent just talking on AoE pulls - we are talking single targets as well. I did top her on Fester this time but she still pulled 11k. My priest is bettered geared than hers and would be lucky to pull 8k. I really do have to work on his shadow dps. .
I have 250 EoFs on Sard and nothing to spend them on so I think I need to bite the bullet and go for the four piece T10 set. It would be too bad - I could get the t10 head and replace a ilvl 251 with the t10 251. The legs would be exchange from a 264 set but that wouldnt be a huge loss.
So its weird - I feel less pressure on the priest in GKP 25 man runs than I do the hunter, but for guild 10 man progression runs (we are 10/12 now btw) I feel huge pressure on the priest and try and bring Puraa if possible.
All this is just a tad funny - that what I am running and who I am running with can so dramatically change the pressures I feel. I guess that's what WoW is all about

3 comments:
I know that I feel similar pressures.
On the tank though, I rarely feel pressure, once I'm comfortable with the fight. The only time is when learning a new strat or boss.
For some reason I feel more pressure on the Holy Pally than the Resto Shammy and I've no idea why. I suspect that's may be a letting a tank die vs letting a dps die, but even that doesn't make a lot of sense as you're usually only 2 or 3 healing a 10man anyway.
As for DPS.. I know I'll be in the Top2 for the 1st minute while the Mage T10 4 set bonus is up then just watch everyone claw back the lead and pass me :(
In the gkp run i was in the other day on the hunter i felt like i was under huge pressure as i said to sard yesterday. It was really weird because i never feel under pressure, i go in kill shit get one of the top in meters, dont kill anyone, do my job and im set.
The gkp run was different...i was under pressure like i had to get that top spot. Being the only hunter in the raid meant all eyes were focused on me for fights such as H Marrowgar being the person the bonestorm would go to or blood council with orbs etc. It was weird because i know that i never feel pressured knowing the fights and my class so well.
I was stoked that I could get 2nd for fester and rot the pressure seemed to wear off but it took a bloody long time to do so...
Maybe because i was amongst no ordinary pug but people that actually knew what they were doing i dont know. maybe next time i wont be so careful as to not make a mistake and just do as i do lol
Our students don't come back til 19 July. YAY.
(I mean they're lovely really, but it's so peaceful while they are away.)
Yes, I feel a definite pressure surge when healing 2 tanks through ICC10, particularly on H mode fights. I want bacon!
Shield spamming on 25s is no pressure at all, every heals but me has a designated target group - I just get to spam away at whim.
And my new guild does look at heals + absorbs meters - I hate Valithria because I'm always out of the portals and that fight drops my overall hps ranking considerably. But she drops nice loot. :)
Post a Comment