Saturday, July 16, 2011

A ponderous post on GKPs to reach 400


This is my 400th post on this blog. Its actually the 401st but I deleted a post a few weeks ago and we won't mention it again.

Generally my anniversary posts (103, 200 and 300) are fluffy feel good posts - however today's isn't quite so fluffy. I did a GKP run today - it wasnt a lot of fun. I tend to not like being in an abusive run and alas thats where todays GKP run ended up...

Todays run was the second GKP I did with the crowd I talked about last week. Unfortunately only two bosses were dropped this week - a mere 12.1k in the pot. I left the raid without even bothering to wait for the 482 gold I was owed.

Its funny really - Magmaw was dropped 2nd try (the wipe caused by range not remaining in range of heals - which was the same situation as last week) and the defence system was one shot. Off we trundled to Chimaeron where after successive failures the raid was called.

The issue (according to the noisest on vent) were the heals. As a healer I guess it hurts when you hear your role being blamed for the wipes - but I admit that the healers were struggling. Funds is ilvl 350. Several of the other heals are around the same gear level. Yes there were issues with stacking (I was rightly called out for not stacking tight at one stage - although I was only three yards out under the barrier, in the shamen rain spell...but no I wasnt stacked as tightly as I could have been) but mostly it was the healers not being able to do the job.

Its lovely getting abused on vent - it truely is. And yes the people doing the abusing are the DPS doing the top numbers. They are the boosters in the raid - you can understand the frustration. Except I dont...
______________________

GKP runs should contain two types of players:

1. Undergeared characters with gold and who are willing to spend
2. Overgeared characters who want to make gold.

And thats it. Just the two.

The overgeared characters have a job to do - to get the undergeared ones through so they spend gold. If the overgeared arent capable of doing that they they are the ones failing - not the undergeared ones.

I admit I am undergeared for that run - I pull around 10k HPS in Chimaeron - its not enough. But I am also carrying 100k on me to buy gear with. That 100k is the money that will end up in the overgeared pockets once the run is over.

If I am so undergeared that I cant do the job either kick me (and my gold with it) or move me to DPS. Bring in healers who can get the job done - because whether healing or DPSing I will still spend.

However (to give some advice) - dont abuse me. You abuse me and I wont hang around and then you get none of my gold.

Another issue is the third kind of character in the run - the ones who shouldnt be there,

3. Undergeared characters without gold.

This is the deadweight - taking up space when they could/should be replaced with, say, a healer who heals for a lot more than I do. They are leeches who bring nothing to the GKP runs - for either the rich undergeared or the overgeared.

__________________________

Whether I will get reinvited next week I dont know. Probably not as I was one of the 'named and shamed' - Funds the Non-Stacker. But thats OK - Funds is an alt, and not one I every envisage being more than a toon-on-the-side. No skin off my nose if she goes or not.

But if invited I would go again - as long as those who were so vocal in their criticism remember they have a role to do - and in that run today they didnt do it.

5 comments:

Wheatbicks said...

Any chance of a name and shame? Just kidding, that is disappointing and really the rl should be insuring that the group only has a certain number of undergeared and potentially inexperienced members and enough geared played to carry you through. Feel free to start doing your own runs :) I would love to come along on my overgeared toons to make some money!!

BellaTheTank said...

As another healer 'named and shamed' and equally under geared, I can't say I was overjoyed either. Particularly as 1/3 of the pot came from my pocket.
Not a single healer in the raid was a "carrier".
I take it the RL knows nothing about healers as his only healing instructions were "all you healers work it out yourself and whisper each other".

My other main issue were the ad-hoc rules undermining the value of the gear. If people know that no one bids in it when it drops and the RL starts bids of 200g for Lava Spine, whose gonna bid 3k when it drops.
And I reckon half a dozen of them in the run today were being carried and didn't have 2k to scratch their arse with.

If the RL read this: pro tip, get more boosters, and don't allow them to abuse those funding your run. Also, why do chim 3rd?? Yes they're all 'easy' now, but for what was essentially a pug, Maloriak and Atra would have been a lot easier.

Midlife Kat said...

yea sard - stop going to other peoples GKP's - do your own!

Foo said...

Or join mine :)

Anonymous said...

Tbh..I do not know what it takes to heal or tank Chimaeron. I also don't know how much normal was nerfed since the patch. But as I a dps, I do know to spread and stack. And I also know that keeping my health above 10k is my responsibility, too.

When we first engaged Heroic Chimaeron, we were still undergeared. And there was lots of emphasis on having first aid to max lvl. Those heavy bandages worked really nice in a pinch. We were also expected to make use of our own class abilities to help heal ourselves. A nicely placed soulwell near the stack point allowed everyone to grab another healthstone in the first two minutes.

It is true that the Chimaeron fight was designed specifically to test healers. There isn't much dps can do while stacking. This is purely on the healers shoulders. Along with keeping the tanks up.

But a well-played dps knows that their first priority is staying alive. Hardmodes are very unforgiving.

Hope all goes better next time. And yeah...why don't you start a gkp run of your own. I could join for BWD. Unable to do BoT cause we are determined to get Sinestra down.

Just some green-haired gnome.

Post a Comment