Its been a while since I wrote about the GKP runs, for a number of reasons.
Firstly since the last post following my 3rd GKP run I've only done one more - the weekend before last. So in 5 weeks I've only been invited to one run - and you can't write about something you havent done.
The run was good - 6 bosses, including the gunship done on heroic. I picked up a BoE for 7k which sold for 10k, I had 4k on the run. Good fun was had by all.
However there is a different feel to the run - suddenly things arent about gold as much as they once were. It seems that people are being invited to ensure progression. My opinion - there has been a change in direction from those running the GKP runs.
On the first couple of runs the ethos appeared to me about allowing those with money to benefit from their wealth, to compensate for their slight lack in ability. I am not saying that these are bad players, but I am the first to admit I am not 'top 1%' material of WoW.
However now when I review invites, I've been put on standby, whilst 4 other hunters are put in ahead of me (irrespective of when we accept our invites) and funnily all those hunters are 5800+ GS hunters compared to my 5700. The same goes to the priests, the druids, the mages.
Of course, gear is important as well as ability to play, but ultimately the whole ethos (in my opinion) of GKP runs is that the point is gold for gear, more than seeing how far you can progress.
I am not being critical of the guys who run this GKP event - I have found them all to be great raiders, patient with the pugs who aren't as skilled as they are. And perhaps I am a little hurt that I dont make their 'top hunters' list - that for some reason or other, other players are selected ahead of me. But to me thats that raiding guilds are about - and this isnt a raiding guild 'progression' run.
Personally I leave progression for my own guild events - the GKP runs are about gold. For those with it to spend, for those who want it to earn.
I hope this post doesnt alienate me with the GKP organisers. I will still sign up (I guess if I don't get an invite next week I will know why). But for me, the whole point of GKP runs has been forgotten, and replaced by a wish to progress.
Perhaps the organisers feel the best way to earn gold is to get more and more bosses down. I would suggest that we were bringing in as much gold two months ago - so why not bring in lesser geared players (who have money) rather than continuing to bring in the 5800+ geared toons, who no longer need gear from the first 4 bosses. You are just wasting the first hour of the run, with no guarantee of getting more than two or three of next bosses down.
Firstly since the last post following my 3rd GKP run I've only done one more - the weekend before last. So in 5 weeks I've only been invited to one run - and you can't write about something you havent done.
The run was good - 6 bosses, including the gunship done on heroic. I picked up a BoE for 7k which sold for 10k, I had 4k on the run. Good fun was had by all.
However there is a different feel to the run - suddenly things arent about gold as much as they once were. It seems that people are being invited to ensure progression. My opinion - there has been a change in direction from those running the GKP runs.
On the first couple of runs the ethos appeared to me about allowing those with money to benefit from their wealth, to compensate for their slight lack in ability. I am not saying that these are bad players, but I am the first to admit I am not 'top 1%' material of WoW.
However now when I review invites, I've been put on standby, whilst 4 other hunters are put in ahead of me (irrespective of when we accept our invites) and funnily all those hunters are 5800+ GS hunters compared to my 5700. The same goes to the priests, the druids, the mages.
Of course, gear is important as well as ability to play, but ultimately the whole ethos (in my opinion) of GKP runs is that the point is gold for gear, more than seeing how far you can progress.
I am not being critical of the guys who run this GKP event - I have found them all to be great raiders, patient with the pugs who aren't as skilled as they are. And perhaps I am a little hurt that I dont make their 'top hunters' list - that for some reason or other, other players are selected ahead of me. But to me thats that raiding guilds are about - and this isnt a raiding guild 'progression' run.
Personally I leave progression for my own guild events - the GKP runs are about gold. For those with it to spend, for those who want it to earn.
I hope this post doesnt alienate me with the GKP organisers. I will still sign up (I guess if I don't get an invite next week I will know why). But for me, the whole point of GKP runs has been forgotten, and replaced by a wish to progress.
Perhaps the organisers feel the best way to earn gold is to get more and more bosses down. I would suggest that we were bringing in as much gold two months ago - so why not bring in lesser geared players (who have money) rather than continuing to bring in the 5800+ geared toons, who no longer need gear from the first 4 bosses. You are just wasting the first hour of the run, with no guarantee of getting more than two or three of next bosses down.

3 comments:
Your right the point of GKP runs is gold. Sounds to me like the organizers are missing the boat. Progression is for socials, it has no tangible value.
If you guys can put the first wing on farm, which is very easy to do, with say 5 spots anchored. The invite 5 of the riches pugs you can find and milk them for the gold on drops. Rinse and repeat every week more or less.
The only issue is when you are not one of the "anchored" members of the GKP run. IE, getting replaced because you are no longer bidding on gear due to being to high.
I would believe this to be a solid way to make gold per week, outside of all the AH games people play. True goblins, true gold cappers would seek this as an additional gold stream.
Why not gear out the people who buy your epic gems? Moves gems faster, and they are bidding on the drops and you get a portion of the kitty. Its win win.
I would take your priest on these runs, get anchored as a core healer and start running these weekly, since DPS is the easiest job in the game and the most common its harder to get anchored.
The other risk factor would ensuring the people have the gold to begin with and retracting bids / people not paying.
I am sure that would flush itself out.
Also you would have to work on the opening bids. Yea its nice to see bids of 7k etc, but even 700 gold spilt by 10 times 4 is 280 gold. Doing something that takes what an hour hour and half? Not too shabby, plus all the looted coins, greys, etc. Plus frost badges to flip into saronite.
Gold per hour, even with a low bid of 700 is not to bad, especially if you are doing it in your "down" time. IE when your done posting but realize your a WoW addict and still need to run circles around dalaran.
I charge for my tanking services for randoms, 26g per random. I am running them anyway for epic gems and such, why not charge some poor soul dps? I love being useful lol
Hmmm I can only think that either they believe the payoff of items dropping from further in (Festergut and Rotface maybe?) are going to be so desirable, and sell for so much, that they can be fussy about their raid candidates.
Alternatively the people running it might be mad keen for "progression" or at least a successfully kill on a new boss. I thought most GDKP runs were run by alts for that reason - the mains are being played to get that sense of progression elsewhere.
Post a Comment