For many Paolo is one of 'the' priest bloggers that we all listen to. When Paolo says regem, people regem. Eh MissMedicina? :P
Paolo's most recent post is regarding the ABC Rule of Discipline Priests. It's a interesting post presenting an idea that is alien to many disc priests:
This allows us time to regenerate mana, meaning we have plenty in reserve when its needed.
Well Paolo is now suggesting something different. In his words:
But Paolo's not talking about Ony 10 - he's talking about ICC in all its modes. Quoting Matron:
So I started thinking about what Paolo said even more. Perhaps I should be working harder, casting at every cooldown, doing what I can to make things easier on my fellow healers, so in turn when the healing is intense for me, they are under less pressure, so more able to assist me in my moment of need.
In theory.
So I tried. We recently did a ToC25 with some inexperienced players. So I shielded and PoMed at every turn. I penanced at every cooldown. I even renewed when I had a second to spare.
And indeed I experienced the pressure of being low on mana with my fiend on cooldown, and I discovered that I suddenly remebered to start using other cooldowns I hadn't used for weeks.
It felt good - but I am not convinced I was a better healer because of it. I can advocate on putting the 'mana low' pressure on yourself - you will become more innovative. But until I get into heroic 10 man ICC I really cant tell you if following the ABC rule means I am a better healer - its just a bit more fun.
Paolo's most recent post is regarding the ABC Rule of Discipline Priests. It's a interesting post presenting an idea that is alien to many disc priests:
Always. Be. Casting. This is the ABC of discipline priesting. And it seems to be a well-guarded secret!Paolo is right - Disc priests tend not to be constant casters, we often feel we dont need to be. There is a mindset that when the tank's at full health and the shield's up, the occasional flash heal to keep up three stacks of Grace is all that is required.
This allows us time to regenerate mana, meaning we have plenty in reserve when its needed.
Well Paolo is now suggesting something different. In his words:
Well, dear friends, disc priests are the best in the business at healing people who are already at full health. We spam bubbles. Bubbles are instant. They’re our most valuable function in a raid, our most powerful spell.He's not wrong. I do this a lot. Ony 10 for example - with my gear and SP, a shielded player can take a deep breath with little damage, if any at all.
But Paolo's not talking about Ony 10 - he's talking about ICC in all its modes. Quoting Matron:
“if you don’t have mana problems you need to cast more spells until you do have mana problems”Again they are not wrong - I rarely have mana issues on whatever encounter I face - but I occasionally see raid members dying, even on occasion the tank I've been assigned to.
So I started thinking about what Paolo said even more. Perhaps I should be working harder, casting at every cooldown, doing what I can to make things easier on my fellow healers, so in turn when the healing is intense for me, they are under less pressure, so more able to assist me in my moment of need.
In theory.
So I tried. We recently did a ToC25 with some inexperienced players. So I shielded and PoMed at every turn. I penanced at every cooldown. I even renewed when I had a second to spare.
And indeed I experienced the pressure of being low on mana with my fiend on cooldown, and I discovered that I suddenly remebered to start using other cooldowns I hadn't used for weeks.
It felt good - but I am not convinced I was a better healer because of it. I can advocate on putting the 'mana low' pressure on yourself - you will become more innovative. But until I get into heroic 10 man ICC I really cant tell you if following the ABC rule means I am a better healer - its just a bit more fun.

No comments:
Post a Comment