Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A day away from healbot :)


I'm revisiting this post after a week to give a slightly different spin on this. Events this morning made me realise that I share a server with people of every personality type - and in many ways this is what gives life to the server.

If we were all the same the server would be very cordial but extremely dull - so this post is a tribute to all the characters I share Cael with...



Following a personal comment made to me, todays post isn't healbot related - because evidently some people are finding they healbot posts are leaving them cold. So to ensure maximum numbers of happy readers I am following the adage of 'variety is the spice of life' and focusing on something different today - Trade Chat!

Cael's trade chat has been its usual inane self over the past 24 hours. Of course maintenance always brings out the spam junkies but there has been an interesting turn of events thats had the channel more interesting than usual.

One of the more colourful characters on Cael recently left the server. Sindarian crossed a lot of people - but had many loyal fans as well. Renowned for ensuring loot drops were distributed firstly to him and then to his friends, made him many enemies.

Personally I just never ran with him nor his guild - so it was never an issue - 'buyer beware' as they say - you knew you weren't going to be treated fairly by Sindarian unless your were in his inner circle.

Its funny how cliques form on servers - for every person that dislikes someone there is another who stands by that persons side and defends them to the hilt. Its playground politics all over again. I guess the internet allows people to play the role they want to play.

People allow themselves the freedom to exaggerate a persona, but the real person behind the keyboard isnt as extreme.

Sindarian's departure has left a void on Cael - people still talk about him - he is missed. Thats a legacy I cannot hope to replicate - so respect is due to Sindarian just for that.

Of course there are other trade whores - Brodeur is one.

My interaction with him has always been fun - trolling for a rise - sitting here in NZ (and no Brodeur, not in my grandmother's basement!) throwing jabs out across trade whilst my arrows post. Its fun, its harmless... or is it?

Following todays events - and what I observed in vent (OK what is the auditory version of observed?!?) - sometimes people do get upset in real life over events on WoW. Noisan and Brodeur went off at each other on vent - name calling, swearing etc. It was amusing to overhear but deep down it saddens me that people get so involved.

No doubt something happened - and Brodeur has annoyed more than one person (I know that for a fact because there are others who whisper me telling me I am doing a great job with the arrows) - so I doubt he's completely innocent. But really- is it worth that much energy to keep the vendetta going - its a big server!

But then again they do add that little 'je ne sais quoi' that every server needs.

So this post is a tribute to those who add colour to my trade channel - I could have done without the two day religious rantings over Easter, nor the Aborigional bashing last night - but here's to trade - may you long continue to be a place for the trolls to throw rocks at each other - and to sell the occasional arrow or three.

3 comments:

BellaTheTank said...

not to mention the odd trade channel school holiday bargain basement price on items.
Surprising in trade, but occasionally it happens.

Cassandri said...

For the brief time I played on Cael I was NOT a Sindarian fan. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and joined one of his runs only to be kicked as I was flying to ToC because one of his guild members logged in. That was annoying, but forgivable I suppose. Then he whispered me 10 minutes later because it turned out that said guildie might not be able to stick around, so I could have the spot back. My reply:

Fuck that. 5 minutes later and another guild member might log in and you'll kick me again. Probably once you've gotten me saved.

We have loved/hated players on Barthilas who regularly run PuGs. The difference is, for all their STOP BEING FUCKING BADS type talk/attitude they're actually very fair raid leaders who never ninja items.

As for long standing angst between players (over Trade/AHing or not) I think a lot of people really relish forming these "negative" relationships. In some ways having a bitter feud is more interesting to play than feeling absolutely nothing towards your fellow players.

Breevok said...

Yep thats the Sindarian we know and love!

I know his exploits weren't limited to raids either. My partner helped him with a quest in Shadowmoon during BC in return for assistance with another quest - of course he bailed on her as soon as he got what he wanted.

But surely his rating on the 'ass-factor' scale couldn't be as high in real life. Or at least one would hope not!

Post a Comment