Monday, April 26, 2010

Heard the one about teaching a man to fish?

I was in a benevolent mood last night. I was on my hordie, quickly posting a few things on the AH, when something in guild-chat caught my eye.


"Do you reckon I could make money selling the motorbike?" said someone.
"Probably, but it could take a while." replied someone else.

As you probably tell I don't have a particularly close relationship with my guildies - in fact I joined because the invite was extended by someone randomly and I always wondered what 'those' guilds are like. They are an ok crowd, don't do much but level and heroics but they seem harmless.

Anyway I was feeling in a good mood (clearing a thousand gold out of my mail box does that) so I whispered the guildie who was considering selling a bike.

"Engineers can make money without the huge investment of getting the bike together. The two new BoE pets for example, iceblade arrows if you have the ICC rep" I said.
"I dont understand, whats ICC rep?"

OK I realise that at this point I should have logged off, but to cut a longish story short, this guy didnt have a clue. He had never been to ICC, he didn't know anything about 'Lil Smoky, nor the pet bombling.

Now horde side, these pets are still selling for 200-300g. This is because both schematics drop in Gnomeregan - which until recently was very rarely visited by horde players. Even now the majority of hordies visit three or four times as they rush through the first 20-25 levels of alts, and for the vast majority of these players, engineering isnt the profession of choice.

I sent my guildie off to wowhead to go research and about 10 minutes later I get a whisper:

"So Gnomeregan is an instance inside Ironforge?"
"No, its just in the same region"
"I don't understand."

I decided the best thing was to take him to the entrance and leave him to it.

Do you realise how far a ride it is from Undercity to Gnomeregan when you haven't got a single flightpath? I trundled off on my horse, guildie in tow. Tirisfal Glades, Western Plaguelands, Alterac Valley, Hillsbrad Foothills, Arathi Highlands, Wetlands and finally into Dun Morogh.

I finally got to Gnomeregan and wished him well.

"Where's the boss?"

Oh well in for a penny in for a pound. Run in, drop down one level, head north, down the corridor, drop again, X21s killed as we went, then Thermospark at the end.

With much luck both schematics dropped on a single run. I bid the guildie adieu, pleased that I had done myy good deed for the day. The man could now fish...

... when I briefly logged on this morning I noticed a message in guild chat:

"Where do I get fused wiring from?"

2 comments:

bo-breaze said...

some people its not worth your time. Sorry you wasted your time trying to help a person learn to make gold.

Darth Solo said...

I have another one for you: "No good deed goes unpunished". My life's story, really.

Never attempt to show anyone else how to make gold, unless they're really close friends. I did that once for a dude and he turned out to be a 12-yr old who stalked me for a few months afterward until he got bored.

Post a Comment