Monday, March 15, 2010

GKP Runs - a finite life?

As I am prone to doing, I pondered some more about GKP runs and came to a conclusion.

The inherant weakness in GKP runs is longevity.

Although they are a lot of fun, people come to either buy gear or earn gold. As the weeks go by and the first 6 or so bosses are put on farm - the prices have to drop as more and more players get the gear they want.

For example, I wont be bidding when the bow next drops - I have one already so there is no need.

Unless you push deeper and deeper into ICC each week, the pot will become smaller and smaller and thus the motivation for some will dwindle. Also the 'dont bail' factor gets watered down - people who will hang around for a payout of 3000g might not be so patient if the pay is only 1000g

The way to combat this is to make sure you are bringing through new blood each week - new undergeared players who are willing to put their hands in their pockets. However this slows progression - which stops the bigger bids on the less seen items off the later bosses.

I dont know if the organisers have a plan for ensuring the ongoing appeal of the GKP runs. I know I have guildies who would love a spot. Yesterdays run was 25 signups plus 30+ reserves, so I don't thinks its going to be an issue for a while but give it a month or so and I will be interested how the make up of the run changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment