Wednesday, September 29, 2010

If it was just a matter of stabbing stuff...


It's funny - I've had a range of new experiences over the past month or so which is odd because we are so close to the end of an expansion.

Firstly I finally got a level 80 melee class (Cynicism the Rogue), who I am quite fond of but find extremely frustrating to play. Last night I finally got her fourth piece for T9 gear,which puts her at the dizzy heights of a GS of 4460.

Trying to remain modest, I am doing quite well, in part. She seems to be able to hold her own for her GS (I, for one, and appreciative of the DPS/GS panel in recount), and in a simple tank and spank fight I have a solid enough spec and rotation that I can pull 4-5k.

Where I struggle is the not so simple fights.
  • As a hunter/priest I rarely consider the green/red/purple/blue crap at the bosses feet. As a rogue is kind of important!
  • As a hunter/priest I don't really care if the tank decides to move the boss 10 yards to the left. As a rogue you suddenly find yourself stabbing thin air
There have been numerous learning curves. The guild kindly dragged me through a ToC10 alt run not long after I hit 80. Now I know the fights intimately - Puraa and Sard have 22 Anub'arak kills between them. I was lucky that two of the guilds main rogues were on there on alts and I was getting a few tips here and there.

For Cynicism ToC went like this:

  • Gormak - stealthed, I received a whisper telling me that Gormak can see stealth rogues and to move back. Good advice! 
  • Acidmaw and Dreadscale One - At the worms thought I did ok until I died to green slime pool/poison cloud that Acidmaw produces. We wiped at this attempt but was quite pleased I'd run to the burning bile when I had the paralytic toxin on me. 
  •  Acidmaw and Dreadscale Two - received a whisper telling me I could use Cloak of Shadows to get out of the toxin and burning. Made use of this new piece of information when I got burning bile next. Unfortunately the tank had the paralytic toxin at the time - silly rogue! Alas I once again died in the poison cloud but the beasts were dropped
Green shit on the ground - how do you miss it? Its green. I'm standing in it. It's killing me.

I can only blame myself, its just another thing you have to consider which I never had to think about before. I am guessing it comes with experience, but how frustrating it is dying to dumb stuff?

  • Jaraxxus - dont ask. For some reason I stood in front of the boss as the tank was standing behind and would have turned him. I was therefore preparing for being behind him to do my interupts. I died. At the pull. Cant say I blame him.
  • Faction Champs - sapped the paladin healer. He broke it and one shot me before I could get get another stun on him. Watched as the rest of the group cleared them.
  • Twins - managed to interrupt the heal after the shield came down. I spammed kick with all three shields. Recount showed I was successful with 1, the other two covered by other players.
  • Anub'arak - probably my best performance of the night. I stabbed and swang and the boss died. I won an axe. I was happy.
So as you can see, dumbass mistakes all over the show. Frustrating as hell because I should know better.

There have been other incidents - for example, the Maiden of Grief in HoS. She does the large black voids, and I knew about these and I got out of them. Good rogue! The trouble is this:

Here I am stabbing away at the big bad boss lady.
She drops the void.

The tanks moves out and I move out, but in the opposite direction because that's the nearest edge.

The result? I have to run all the way around before being able to carry on attacking! Its so damn frustrating!!!

But still - it wouldnt be a challenge if it was easy would it. I just have to break a few of the ingrained habits I have learnt over the years and form some new ones. I honestly think that knowing a melee class will allow me to improve all my toons, its going to speed up my reactions a lot at least.

But with healing and range and melee covered what does that leave?

1 comment:

BellaTheTank said...

To be fair to you, I was OT'ing the ToC run on my (very) recently tank specced DK which had only done heroics. I was expecting to DPS so hadn't thought about my lack of being anywhere close to the expertise cap for tanking, which caused some of the Acid/Dread shennanigans.
Can't remember if I was still tanking for Jaraxxus, but if it was me that tanked him backwards, I apologise. Was probably too busy finding the right buttons to mash to realise i was in the wrong spot.

As for your last question.. You know it .. Tank time. It's melee with a twist :D

Post a Comment