Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Great Glyph Experiment Part Six

Well well well - and so endeth the story of three holes in the ground...

Been an interesting week - sorry I havent posted (he says talking to himself) but I've been concentrating - I'm male so multitasking doesnt come naturally!

OK update

I hit 65 and leveled my inscription to 447. I read 40+ books of glyph mastery and continued my daily research. This much we know.

Tactic One - Using Auctioneer and Skillet/Lil Sparkey I created all the glyphs with values over 10g. I created around 30-40 of each - and even got a friend to make me some I havent learnt yet. I went and posted them all with the following settings:

Undercut 80s, 24 hour posting, 2g fallback pirce (i.e. as low as I would go), 5 glyphs on at a time.

Result - undercut by 2s by two level one warriors sat in IF.

These two are obviously run by the same player/gold farmer* - and undercuts are put in place within a few minutes.

I cancelled these auctions and reposted using the same criteria as above. Undercut. Repost. Undercut. Repost. Undercut.

Over the course of about an hour I crashed the market - all the glyphs were around 2g and still they undercut. It seems 2g is about their limit too - so they all sit there at 2g making purchasers very happy.

Tactic Two - I quickly downloaded Quick Auctions 2 - a rather nifty addon that solves a few of the frustrations of Auctioneer - namely slow cancelling and slow posting of auctions.

This allowed me to respond quickly with my competitors - espeically when I discovered that there is a function with QA2 that only cancels auctions that have been undercut and allows you to set a fixed fall back price.

With these new tools - I started to really play around. I could cancel all undercut auctions and have new glyphs on the market within a few minutes.

Result - I was being waaaaaay to random. Trying to find a tactic to stop my opposition posting. Fallback price of 5g, undercut by 1g, posting 3 auctions at a time.

Then it dawned on me - was was hammering a market of 20 different glyphs - whilst there were over 300 glyphs possible to me made.

Tactic Three - I continued to learn QA2 a little more. There is a nice little scan feature which scans the current AH and lists all the glyphs (along with they you can make them or not) which are on the AH in order of the lowest buyout price.

Now this is an interesting discovery - Glyphs that Auctionner tells me has a sell price of 3-4g where the lowest glyph on the market is >999% and sat around 30g.

OK we armed with this information I take things slowly - and created 10 glyphs of every glyph that is currently selling on the AH at 15g+

This took a while - a good couple of hours (split with a visit to the cinema with my son) - but now I am competing with 100+ glyphs.

Now my settings are as follows: Threshold 2g, fallback 20g, undercut 80s, 24 hour postings.

I also reread Gevlon's Post regarding undercutting - and reminded myself that its not a 100m dash I am running but a marathon where my competitors will drop back one by one.

Result - this morning I had about 400g worth of sales. I'm pleased.

Conclusions

I just have to kerb my enthusiasm with this market - I camt just take over overnight. There are already established players in the market and my stubborness is my best friend here. I'll give it a month and see how things are. I will endevour not to cancel and repost more than two or three times a day (pre work, post work, just before bed) - I unknow I should just post for 48 hours and come back two days later but that just isnt me!

To be honest - I struggle with the glyph market. I'm a fiddler and I like to make money quickly. Patience didnt fall in my direction off the virtue tree - but I'm going to try this tactic for a while and see what happens :)

* my competitor (now with three toons) may well be a gold seller - they are constantly on - and constantly scanning the AH -

As Gevlon says
"Some campers are professional goldfarmers or no-life kids and it may take some weeks until they give up, but it's only matter of time."

No comments:

Post a Comment