OK I am now confused...
I know this is a very small data set but I'm impatient and trying to find some reason for what I am seeing.
Sales numbers continue to drop - that I can understand - the under cutters have worked out my new threshold (4g80 down from 5g) and have moved to meet me.
Average sale price has gone up. Again understandable. With most of my glyphs being undercut, what are selling are the glyphs they dont undercut - thus the ones nearer my fallback price. So fewer sales but each sale is, on average, a higher sell price glyph.
Income is steady - I guess this makes sense. Less sales but each sale at a higher price = steady income. However this does lead me to start to think that there is little point competing with the under cutters - similar income for less work (glyph making time etc) is surely a win/win scenario?
Now things start getting a little more confusing. I can understand the number of postings increasing today. My set up stops me posting against myself. The extras are the 4g80 glyphs that expired and I am refilling the void they left. Makes sense.
But toon 3 is bemusing. I have three glyph sellers:
** Yes I know there are more glyphs that 340. But some never get purchased EVER so I don't bother with them
So today by toon selling 69 types of glyph posted more than the one posting 139 glyph types. This has to just be random variation - an under cutter forgot to post with one toon or something.
This is an opportunity that sometimes happens, so its nice when you are able to capitalise. We'll see tomorrow if I did.
_________________________







7 comments:
If it helps, I missed part of a posting set (and it would have been warlock/warrior. My son is playing more wow, making it a bit harder to post as often.
Also, you should be able to enjoy my being off for a large part of the upcoming weekend.
waves back with her middle finger
I'm actually finding this fascinating. My experience is so different. My minimum price to post a glyph is 15g...and I reasonably sell a about a quarter of them in the 30-50g range and another quarter 50-75g. I do "clearance" sales for glyphs I accidentally made or made well leveling that I can't seem to get rid off where I just undercut a little. But my server is so different its another world.
I post my auctions for three days maybe once a week and generally make 2-3K, which is more than I need. If I'm bankrolling an alt who wants flying and stuff I might put the effor in a couple times a week for a wee bit, and that's it.
My problem is I can't seem to figure out how to make money on a competitive server. I'm spoiled. And I'm certainly not moving my scribe.
Hey, I love the data you're putting up. My server (Silverhand Ally) is much more like yours, with 10-20 posters on any given day and a few aggressive campers. I post about 300 glyphs twice a day (two per kind), 4.4g threshold, with an average sale price of between 7-8. But I only sell around 10%.
Here's something I've been hunting for information on, but haven't seen a word on. I'm thinking it'll affect you as much as me, and anyone else with a significant on-hand stock of glyphs.
A little bit ago, we got a preview of what the new glyphs will be. Based on a few anecdotal sources in class change discussions on EJ, we *also* got a preview on a number of glyphs that will be *changed to vendor trash when 4.0 hits*. So this is a bit of a call for help--does anyone out there have a list of which ones are being trashed? And does anyone have an easy way to exclude them from a KTQ batch?
I'm thinking many of us are going to get burned by having hundreds of 50s vendor trash glyphs stocked up when 4.0 hits.
I would craft every glyph you have up to stacks of 20 wether it sells or not. Sometimes idiots come along and purchase them or others stop posting and they get posted for fall back prices. Also with 4.0 looming in the distance people will begin buying all glyphs for their characters so that if they want them they have them.
I agree with your conclusions about volume. Don't compete with undercutters unless you have the resources (namely time) to be one of them. Post at what you'd like your glyphs to sell at. Once people break through the undercutters' posts, yours will be there for 20g or whatever and make you good money.
Of course it depends how many undercutters there are and how often people break through that low cost wall.
I've been gradually raising my threshold (by small amounts) and fallback prices (by larger amounts) for the last couple months, and my gold/day has stayed much the same - but both profit and gold per hour has gone up a great deal, since I have to spend less time restocking and use fewer herbs. Well worth it, IMO.
Undercutters are reality.
There are some (bankzoors) that have a camping, 1s undercut, 4g min 40g fallback.
There is me, with a 5g min and a 5/6g fallback. I usually post once per day. In favour of trying a high fallback price, sometimes I am the only one selling about 40 types of glyphs. (And I am only on very sporadically this weekend - take advantage of it).
There are others with a mix of strategies. Vultures picking over a dead carcase is the right analogy.
When Cataclysm comes, there will be a (brief but glorious) moment when we have herds of sheep to harvest.
Post a Comment