Monday, October 11, 2010

The closing of a couple of experiments

I've closed down the glyph experiment and the resale experiment. I am doing this for differing reasons:

The Glyph Experiment
  • Has been run for 5 weeks and have enough data to draw conclusions
  • Got distracted over the weekend and missed a days worth of data
  • Recording data is time consuming
  • Requires regular posting times to get accurate data which is restrictive
Resale Experiment
  • Run for a week which shows me what I needed to know
  • VERY time consuming
  • Low gold/hour income


    Glyph Experiment Results


    After five weeks total income from Glyphs was 13777g, with a total of 1248 glyphs sold. Time investment was around 30 mins per day, plus an hour to restock. Materials were in the region of 1500g.

    Therefore 12k for 17 hours work gives around 700g per hour, for selling glyphs on Cael over the past 5 weeks. Income is entirely dependent on others, with Foos absence towards the end of the experiment being obvious.

    I will be removing myself from the Glyph market shortly following the expansion, as the changes being made (i.e. buy once know forever) will result in huge initial sales followed by a steady decline in sales over the subsequent months. There may be a continuing market in alts but for the first period following the expansion (i.e the first year) this market will be limited.

    Resale Experiment Results 

    I said on Thursday I would continue this for another week, but in all honest this has turned out to be a huge time consuming experiment. The main issue I have is that when you buy everything (even with filters), you are buying a lot of items that will sell eventually, but not within the first 48 hour window. The result is a lot of clearing of non sold items, a lot of relisting and a lot more AH posting fees.

    I will admit I have surprised myself:

    Yes, I've made money. The turning point was was sale of the haunted memento, but since sales have exceeded purchases (plus listing fees) and I'm now at 2k more than I was when I started the experiment.

    I stopped buying at the end of Sunday. With 400-600 return mails twice a day, plus the fact I cannot use QA3 to mass post the items, buying everything is a time consuming process which exceeds what I am willing to tolerate each day.

    Raw Data



    If I am to take something positive from the experiment I will be 'purchasing all' from now on but will be selective on what I buy. This will result in more trade goods being passed back to the AH at a reasonable price (ratehr than under priced) and will allow me to filter out weapons, armor, gems etc that I know will not resell quickly, meaning less gold tied up in stock.

    In conclusion - I'm glad I did both of these but its time to shut down such distractions and look to Wednesday and beyond

    No comments:

    Post a Comment