Monday, September 21, 2009

The distractions continue

To be honest I am not enjoying WoW at the moment. The fallout of my leaving of my previous guild have continued to play out - persona non gratis you might say. Its rather sad really.

Unfortunately I'm not the kind of person who can live by the adage that its "just a game". The thing with online games of any kind is that you have interaction with other people. If it was "just a game" I'd be off hacking and slashing through Sacred 2 or something similar.

But I'm not. I'm playing WoW and therefore the social interactions are part of that experience.

The history of my previous guild is dull and uninteresting to those who aren't involved. My partner and I join on after the invitation of a online friend of my partners. At that time the guild was struggling with Naxx 10.

Within days of our joining the same friend (guilds top DPS) left with the GM (top tank) and the guilds top healer. Turmoil reign. A few weeks later a number of the other top DPSers also went off to find something new.

My partner and I decided we would stay and helped develop the guild website, actively recruited and eventually became officers. For 5 months we had cleared Naxx 25 and were progressing into Ulduar 10.

Suddenly the former GM and the healer that left with him, returned. Ever since there had an uncurrent of discontent - snide comments, complaints about raid times etc. Alas the new GM was also away with real life issues.

My partner and I always prided ourselves that there were people that met the ethos of what our guild was all about. Alas slowly a few people were let in who didnt quite fit - language got a little more fragrant, direct attacks on other members became more frequent.

The events of last week finally caused me to take action - so I booted a recent recruit for abusing a long time member. Alas the booted member was a friend of the recently returned healer and suddenly lines were drawn in the sand.

It seems that history is stronger than loyalty. As a founding member of the guild, the recently returned healer seemed to hold more power than me as an officer. Undermined I gquit.

However since then things have got messy. As I said - persona non gratis. Of those people I thought were friends from the guild - just one has stayed in touch. Lesson learnt there me thinks.

I've since joined another guild - and although they seem OK - there isnt the 'family' atmosphere I grew used to from my previous guild. They raid - but it's obvious I am still an outsider.

Of course it was the same when I first joined by previous guild but when you are used to something you notice when it isnt there.

So now I just feel sick - pit of the stomach kinda thing - nagging away. I want the GM to come and say 'Oops we were wrong" but that would only happen when it does all turn to crap - which I fear will still happen - and by then I'll have moved on.

So now I sit and I play and I am not happy. I want to disappear - but also I don't (I want to be contactable to receive the "We were wrong" message).

I want to leave the new guild - just not happy there - but I went there to join a friend and took someone with me so now I feel some messed up sense of loyalty to them. But then what?

I want to level my inscriber (she's at 58 now and just hit outlands so will be 65 soon) - but there are always pressures to be on my main to do heroics/raid.

New name? Switch sides? Change servers? Do nothing? All have pros and cons:

New Name - you get to hide but peoples friends lists update so it becomes obvious that you are still you very quickly.

Switch Sides - then you lose all ways to communicate with those people who do appear to be decent human beings that you've got to know.

Change Servers - as above but what's worse I also wouldnt know my AH market.

Do nothing - might be the way forward - ride out the storm - accept the worlds full of idiots who cant see when people are manipulating them because they just feed off the ego stroking.

Yep - I am confused - my ego is bruised, my feelings are hurt - and I am not enjoying WoW right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment