Monday, September 14, 2009

How I made my money - a history (Part One)

I started playing WoW in April 2008 - during Burning Crusade. I quested and I leveled. Then my partner started to player a hunter - and my character took a back seat and the hunter became the main focus of our leveling.

During the start of the hunter's life - when a random act of kindness from a stranger who gave the hunter one gold - there was a realisation (an epiphany even) that gold was power. One gold coin to a level 8 character is more money than you can ever dream of - especially when you have no source of income.

Sometime later, an epic axe dropped for my partner. Being of no use to the hunter nor my priest - we went off to the auction house where it sold within 24 hours for 500g. The hunter was about level 40 at the time - and once again it became obvious that gold was power. We sent 100g to each of the main toons and saved the rest.

That's when the priest changed. He was around level 30 and was leveling his professions. At the time he was an enchanter and a tailor - and the grind to level skills was slow due to low finances.

Professions are a funny thing on WoW - you get to a specific level (in this case 20) and you can gain the next level in a profession:

Apprentice (1-75) - Min Level 5
Journeyman (76-150) - Min Level 10
Expert (151-225) - Min Level 20
Artisan (226-300) - Min Level 35
Master (301-375) - Min Level 50
Grand Master (376-450) - Min Level 60/65*

*60 for enchanting and blacksmithing, 65 for the others

So there I was wanting to get my enchanting to lvl 225 - but it became very obvious that the items I was getting questing were no longer producing the materials I needed to level. I was needing items that were from 10-15 levels above me to be able to continue.

Previously I'd bought up lots of green items from the AH - everything cheap - everything less than 50s. I DEd the lot and got a small amount of mats I could use - and a lot I couldnt. It was very hit and miss.

Some reading led me to an addon called Auctioneer - which evidently had a module that allowed me to buy enchanting mats for less than the price of the mats themselves. It would tell me exactly which items to buy to give me the mats I required.

In the moment the addon was installed - a love affair started - although I didnt realise it at the time.

I'd been a bit of an AH addict in another online game called Fallensword - but this had been done with pen and paper - and suddenly I had a addon that did everything for me. It was more than a tool for finding enchating mats - it was the holy grail.

After the first scan (and they tell you to scan for at least a week before trusting the data) - I spent 30g (of my 100g) on items for DEing and a few speculative purchases. I turned my 30g into 50g. At that point my addiction began....

No comments:

Post a Comment