I admit that I do not subscribe to the Gevlon philosophy that spending gold on 'bling' isn't the goblin way. For many players the 'bling' factor is what gives them joy in WoW - in the same way that opening my mailbox to discover 2000g in sold auctions gives me pleasure. If we were all the same it would make WoW a very dull place and more importantly would make making gold a lot harder.
There are three players of WoW in my house - My partner, our son and myself. We all have different philosophies when it comes WoW - in some ways these compliment each other, but in other ways they are so diametrically opposed it can cause friction.
My partner's 'bling' comes from her being an achievement junkie - which results in her having over 60 mounts (still rising), more than 75 companions (still rising) etc. I honestly think the fact she has an Etched Ring of the Kirin Tor was purchased for the achievement first and the fact its a damn fine ring second.
However she loots every mob, sells everything that is sellable, run's her dailies and is self-sufficient in terms of day to day raiding/repair costs.
Our son is your typical teenager. He wants everything and he wants it now. He doesnt have a profession to 450 and bemoans the fact I've so much gold. He isn't willing to grind or farm and often is short of gold for raiding. He does silly things like sell crusader orbs for 700g gold purely because he has no patience to sell on the AH for 1000g.
As for me - I'm addicted to gold - my 'bling' is looking at my bank balance and smiling inside. However saying that, I made sure I completed Brewfest, have a red drake purchased from the Wyrmrest Accord and carry juggling torches with me at all times.
When it comes to spending my wealth on the three of us - my philosophy varies depending on who is getting to gold.
I give my son chunks of gold (usually 500g at a time) on a semi regular basis. You might want to consider it WoW 'Pocket Money'. Generally it's gone within a few hours, whilst his gear remains ungemmed and unenchanted. It frustrates me that he does this - but its just a reflection of real life and it won't change until he gets into his 20s.
I give my partner chunks of gold (usually 10k at a time) on a semi regular basis (although less frequently that the 500g gifts to my son) - for when she wants to make her next big purchase. Next on the list is the chopper - and even though that'll cost me 14k it will make her happy and thus it makes me happy.
I spend my money on my business. I rarely spend it on much else - I confessed I have a drake but I still ride around on the horse I got at level 40. My only weakness is Hanted Mementos which I have on every toon.
I have never reached gold cap although my statistics would suggest my income over the past 8 months would have easily allowed me to reach it. In fact if I scaped together ever gold coin from every resource I would be lucky to be able to have more than 50,000g with around another 30k in stock. But to be honest I don't know what I'd do if I reach cap - would that be the end of it for me? Would I have conquered the part of Wow that gives me the biggest pleasure?
So although I'm entering the glyph market to reach gold cap I'm still unsure whether I'll ever actually allow myself to make it. Perhaps I'll get to 200k and have a spend - because sometimes its nice to have a few goals left to chase - keeps you sharp.
There are three players of WoW in my house - My partner, our son and myself. We all have different philosophies when it comes WoW - in some ways these compliment each other, but in other ways they are so diametrically opposed it can cause friction.
My partner's 'bling' comes from her being an achievement junkie - which results in her having over 60 mounts (still rising), more than 75 companions (still rising) etc. I honestly think the fact she has an Etched Ring of the Kirin Tor was purchased for the achievement first and the fact its a damn fine ring second.
However she loots every mob, sells everything that is sellable, run's her dailies and is self-sufficient in terms of day to day raiding/repair costs.
Our son is your typical teenager. He wants everything and he wants it now. He doesnt have a profession to 450 and bemoans the fact I've so much gold. He isn't willing to grind or farm and often is short of gold for raiding. He does silly things like sell crusader orbs for 700g gold purely because he has no patience to sell on the AH for 1000g.
As for me - I'm addicted to gold - my 'bling' is looking at my bank balance and smiling inside. However saying that, I made sure I completed Brewfest, have a red drake purchased from the Wyrmrest Accord and carry juggling torches with me at all times.
When it comes to spending my wealth on the three of us - my philosophy varies depending on who is getting to gold.
I give my son chunks of gold (usually 500g at a time) on a semi regular basis. You might want to consider it WoW 'Pocket Money'. Generally it's gone within a few hours, whilst his gear remains ungemmed and unenchanted. It frustrates me that he does this - but its just a reflection of real life and it won't change until he gets into his 20s.
I give my partner chunks of gold (usually 10k at a time) on a semi regular basis (although less frequently that the 500g gifts to my son) - for when she wants to make her next big purchase. Next on the list is the chopper - and even though that'll cost me 14k it will make her happy and thus it makes me happy.
I spend my money on my business. I rarely spend it on much else - I confessed I have a drake but I still ride around on the horse I got at level 40. My only weakness is Hanted Mementos which I have on every toon.
I have never reached gold cap although my statistics would suggest my income over the past 8 months would have easily allowed me to reach it. In fact if I scaped together ever gold coin from every resource I would be lucky to be able to have more than 50,000g with around another 30k in stock. But to be honest I don't know what I'd do if I reach cap - would that be the end of it for me? Would I have conquered the part of Wow that gives me the biggest pleasure?
So although I'm entering the glyph market to reach gold cap I'm still unsure whether I'll ever actually allow myself to make it. Perhaps I'll get to 200k and have a spend - because sometimes its nice to have a few goals left to chase - keeps you sharp.
No comments:
Post a Comment