Tuesday, August 10, 2010

And you think your ISPs bad?

So today I finally jumped ship back to Telecom. Vodafone had their chance to resolve the ongoing latency issues but seeing as they cant even give me an indication whether it will be fixed in August I had little choice but jump back to an ISP who hasn't decided that traffic shaping is acceptable practice

So by Thursday evening I should be back at 200-330ms latency, able to scan the AH, able to raid.

The enforced two week break has been in many ways good - I ran Black Temple last might (or the last two bosses) and was laughing constantly at the immediate DCs I'd get at the pull. Watching the reruns of the last 20 seconds of the fight when I managed to log back in. Laughing as 3 heals hit simultaneously on a target after 5 seconds of nothing.

I invented a game - its called 'Heal the Heroic with 3000ms Latency'. As a disc priest you learn to predict the incoming damage - but when you are factoring what the tank will do in 3 seconds time (or did 2 seconds ago) its a good training exercise. I decided warning the tank before the run that I was suffering immense lag would take all the fun out of it - and I am sure one or two tanks were getting nervous here or there along the way. But I would recommend it to all healers out there.

I actually think I needed the break - so I cant be completely annoyed at Vodafone. TBH I don't think its their fault - its something their wholesale provider is doing - but the customer service has been terrible. And not ETA to resolution? Thats just a joke imho.

Anyways I am kind of back - couple more evenings of nothingness and then LK here I come. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eeeeeey, another Kiwi.

Telecom has its flaws also - namely having ridiculous prices, especially in comparison to everywhere else. They only *just* changed the Pro plan (biggest plan available) from $20 (!) for every gig over the cap to $2. How thoughtful of them!

Best of luck with LK!

- C

Klemon said...

Hope telecom works out for you Sard. Just don't touch any "unlimited" plans and you should be fine, assuming you're not a high data user, otherwise they'll charge you an arm, a leg, your firstborn and a small house.

Post a Comment