Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Casting a long shadow...


In our first real delve into ICC 10 this past weekend, following discussion withe GM, and influenced by a post from Miss Medicina, I decided that I would go on my priest in Shadow DPS.

There were some distractions during the trash run and I accept I was not at 100% focus on the job, but coming to Marrowgar it was 'game face' time.


To be brutally honest my DPS sucked. Being able to stand under the hit box meant I was stationary for significant chunks of the fight and he was alive long enough for DoTs to have full affect. Yet I was a distant 5th on the DPS and only just ahead of the tanks

My shadow gear is good enough - 4 pieces of T9, GS over 5k etc. I know my rotation, I know my spells. I know how to play the damn spec. Yet I just cant make it sing. It annoys me - especially when I went to a dummy the following day and could maintain 4.5k without a struggle.

The problem I find with shadow priests is that other than a couple of DoTs and SW: Death we are hampered by the fact a lot of our spells either have long cast times or need to be channeled. And as we all know in higher end content there arent any 'tank and spank' encounters.

Take Marrowgar for instance - during the bone stornm phase (which lasts 20 odd seconds), Vampric Touch will expired, probably devouring plague as well. You should be able to keep SW:Pain up with a tick or two of Mind Flay but if you get unlucky even this might not be possible. Shadow Weaving may have been lost - so there you are having to start from scratch all over.

It frustrates me. Especially as if I bring in my hunter, she'll be cranking out the DPS.

So I'm considering dropping my Shadow Spec - and becoming a pure healer - dusting off my Holy Spec to allow my healing to never be hampered by not having the optimal spec for each healing role.

I havent made a final decision yet - because I love the idea of Shadow - just wish the reality wasn't so frustrating

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sard,

I feel your pain. As a destro warlock i come up against many of the same problems that you face as a shadow priest.

Long cast times and lack of mobility plague us.

Just part and parcel i guess...

Regs,

Krayco

Anonymous said...

I would hate to see you dump the priest DPS because youre not "Cranking" out the DPS. There is something to be said for someone who can play the toon and can live thru encounters.

Recall the days when people would wipe on the dance and it fell back on two- three people to finish the fight?

My point is that DPS isnt everything.... sometimes its that 5th dps who stays alive that makes the difference and afterall - SOMEONE has to be 5th.

I have seen people who TOP the dps charts and yet die before the encounter is over because to them - topping the chart is the most important thin. IMO staying alive to see the boss fall is important because if everyone is fighting for the top spot and die - i can assure you it will either be a very very long encounter with the heals, tanks and the smart dps who didnt die - or it will be fail.

Post a Comment