Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Results of Poll Five

Following a one or two posts a couple weeks ago, I started the following poll:

Which of the three Auction Houses do you use to make gold?

A reasonable turnout this time with 40 respones given:



I found this really quite interesting - firstly from a demographical POV. Excluding the three who use horde and alliance AHs, respondents split into a 21:16 split Horde:Alliance.

But still we are all friends here aren't we? ;)

I was genuinely suprised that we had less than 10% who take advantage of both alliance and horde AHs. I know that I was one of those, and I suspect I know who one of the other two were (as I've been helping a reader/guildie transfer items back and forth this my post last week) - which means that there is just one other reader making use of this aspect of the wow-econ.

Just to try and whet the appetite of those who might be considering taking the plunge - I'll recount the tale of the Eternal Fire transfers from this week. It was noticed that prices on the horde side for eternal fires was close to 30g, whilst alliance were paying 15g. Many were transfered over by my guildie who flicked them off quickly and for much profit. Suddenly the market swung drastically, and we both picked up a few hundred eternal firsts for under 15g each horde side. They are currently being sold for 28g on the alliance side.

If we had been playing both sides we would of course still have made money but lets look at the maths:

Option One
Buy 100 Eternal Fire for 15g Alliance AH = 1500g
Sell 100 Eternal Fire for 28g Alliance AH a week later = 2800g
Profit: 1300g

Note: This is a long term (week long) speculation - and the Alliance price might not have moved

Option Two
Buy 100 Eternal Fire for 15g Alliance AH = 1500g
Sell 100 Eternal Fire for 30g Horde AH the next day = 3000g
Buy 200 Eternal Fire for 15g Horde AH 6 days later = 3000g
Sell 200 Eternal Fire for 28g Alliance AH  the next day = 5600g
Profit: 4100g
Note: There is no long term speculation - as you are purchasing to sell immediately - at prices you can see there and then


I hope that a few of you will make the effort to dabbled on the other side - even if it is to just see how another market varies from the one you know so well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment