Friday, January 22, 2010

Rags to Riches - a challenge


Mfer commented on my last post:
Ok, I agree with the concept, but this seems a bit extreme. 14.9 hours played, with 1000g is cool, but only level 10?

The thing is, you could be leveling better, and making probably 50%+ of that gold, and be better off. I do it on fresh servers when going to play with friends/coworkers. Because what is a level 10 going to do with 1k? Nada.

Not knocking the idea, but in a true "Here's what you can do on a fresh server" story, you should try to keep it realistic. Most people, even true "noobs" will have maybe 2h played to get level 10, and will not want to sit in the AH scanning for another 10h.


OK I'll bite....

Although there was a significant chunk of the 15 hours spent with the AH - I will dispute your statement that it takes "2h played to get level 10" .

I'm actually interested in this because this was the first dwarf I'd rolled in a long time and I was surprised how slow it was to level him in the dwarf starting area and around Ironforge. So Mfer, if you'd like to back up the statement I'd appreciate it.

I honestly believe it would take closer to 5-6 hours to get a level 1 hunter dwarf to level 10 by questing.

I entered IF at level 7 - I wish I'd done a /played then I discovered the place - it would have been more accurate for the experiment - unfortunately I forgot.

I'll admit that there were mistakes made (I left quest items and my hearthstone in the bank at one stage for instance), but the hunter is a slow class until 10 and that area involves a lot of running back and forth.

Also, if I may make one excuse for the time taken - I wrote a few of these blog entries with that toon logged in so there would be accuracy in the details. This added a chunk of time - but there is no way to calculate this.

But ultimately - you are right,spending as much time in the AH as I did isn't realisitc for a 'noob'

And you are totally correct, what level 10 needs 1000g? At level 10 my partners hunter was given one gold - and we felt like we were the riches players in the game - I talked about it in one of my early posts. But would it have been as impressive to be level 5 with 10g? Perhaps it would have been to the realistic but I'm trying to look at the bigger picture here. I picked 1000g as an end point because its a round figure, a simple goal I set myself. Its no different than gold cap in a way - more gold that you actually need.

The point was that its easy to make gold in WoW. The scrubs that beg for money would be better spent in the AH than filling the trade channel. It was also about techniques - new toon, no gold, no profs, no income other than loot and quests. I tried to put tips throughout the posts - so that if you do decide you want to visit a new server, without transfering a character there, you don't have to let the lack of capital get you down. Its all there waiting for you if you know how.

But also, if you are leveling a toon and need cold weather flying you dont need to whinge about lack of gold. Even if I did nothing but play the AH in the time I'd done this experiment - 15 hours to make 1000g is still over 60g an hour. If I'd had a decent profession or two the ability. a mount etc I'd easily have been gaining money at a rate above that achieveable by farming or doing quests.

I'd be interested if someone did get a dwarf hunter to lvl 10 just for the sake of analysis - but it won't be me. :)

2 comments:

BellaTheTank said...

@Mfer.
I think its a very valid experiment to prove that you don't need money to make money especially if you've been around the traps a while.
I don't think anyone expects a first time WoW player to make 1k in the AH before lvl10. Heck I don't think I even found the AH until about lvl15 on my first toon, let alone spend the precious few silver I had there.

I might take you up on the challenge for the Dwarf hunter Breevok. I've never played a hunter, so I'll be starting blind too. Given some time this weekend I'll give it a shot and report back

Mfer said...

hahaha Didn't think I would get a mention...

So, yeah, I didn't mean to imply it isn't a valid experiment, I was mainly saying it is quite extreme.

My version of R2R is done quite often, rerolling on different servers. IRL I am a cheap bastard, and refuse to do Character xfers unless I am looking for a new guild with my main. I roll something, and roll a banker, and by 40, I have 5k+, while leveling at very good speeds, and spend 10m twice a day in the AH, once in the morning while getting ready for work, do a fast scan, post items real quick, grab mail. Repeat after work, or after dinner, leveling otherwise. Good gold, reasonable time.

Also, I am curious about the leveling time as well, I have a 3 day weekend starting tonight, I'll roll a dwarf Huntard and see what my /played is at level 10.

Post a Comment