Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Finding fun in the random heroics again


After a couple of days away from the blog (but I have a new patio to show for it, PLUS a happy partner) I thought it was time I posted something. However this first post of the week will not be gold related - but focused on running heroics.

I have two mains - and enjoy playing both equally. My first 80 was a priest - Disc/Shadow and my Hunter (MM/PvPMM). Both are geared to similar levels (T9+)

With 3.3 came the 'daily random' - which is fun, and evenetually gets you a title and a pet. However, for a lot of us in my guild, are using the system differently these days - utilising the wonderful parts of the system such as instant travel to and from instances - whilst saving yourselfs the negative aspects of the 'gogogogo' comments  plus the fact I don't have to wait in queues anymore

Thus the majority of the 'daily randoms' this past week have been run in guild. However, for me these heroics have started to become fun again - because we are starting to push the boundaries to see just how far we can push the gear we have and the mechanics of the game and then laughing our asses off when the game bites back.

For example, a couple of nights ago we ran DTK. Pally tank, Priest Heals (Me), Mage, Hunter and our top DPS running his recently hit lvl 80 ret pally.

We were chain pulling our way through, 'Consumption Juntion' and 'Better off Dred' achievements had been got for the new 80, and as we ran up the stairs I told he tank that he should run to the bottom of the next set of stairs pulling everything as he went.

Hot on his tail, I had him covered as if he was running at Ony. Shielded, Renewed, PoM and pain supression for good measure. First group pulled, still running, second group pulled. Single patrol pulled. Still running. Still running.

Bit of a shame the tank wasn't.

Unfortuantely I missed the fact the tank got stunned. And yeah I was still running.

Having pulled the next group, and failing to fade before the final blow, I couldn't help but giggle as the group just dispatched the trash - even without a healer.

Yes, a great many of us completely overpower these heroics these days. Other thank HoR, there are very few true challenges left in the heroics. As a healer, I would say that I still find that Forgemaster Garfrost in PoS can be a pain due to LoS issues or if you need to heal through the permafrost but other than that there isnt much to do more than bubble and DPS. In fact I often heal in shadow spec to speed up the run.

So now we look for new challenges - can you beat the 15 minute timer (conviently put in as a debuff by Blizz) to clear the instance? Just how quickly can the boss die (Ormorok in Nexus is my current record at 17 seconds)? And of course any remaining achievments outstanding can be attempted - although these are becoming fewer by the day.

So I still enjoy heroics - because I made a decision that I have to. They need to be run for the Frost Emblems, so why put yourself through something that drives you mad when just by flipping it around it can be fun again?

2 comments:

Darth Solo said...

I so enjoy an over-geared group...

HokieJayBee said...

i have a guild tank and guild healer i run with just about every night [main is a mage] for our two frost emblems. we usually do the quick heroic after our raid(s) and of course with the tank and healer, we get an insta-queue.

if other guild dps want in they're welcome, but we don't bug for it. because,............we try and basically 3 man the heroics. i can pump 5.5k in any typical 5 man. my pocket pally tank can do 3.5k with whatever he does in his prot/ret pvp spec. and my pocket shammy "healer" can do 2.5k with elemental spells between the heals.

we queue in, and just start. like RUN the instance. if the pugs keep up, good for them. if they don't, well fun for us to try and 3 man it.

typically it takes a second for them to find a good pace with us, but it's fun for us to try and literally never stop in the instances.

Post a Comment